UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: jlubell Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75532  
Subject: 16 Years Old - Roth or Regular? Date: 8/27/2000 9:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello, I am 16 years old, and believe it or not, I want to open a retirement account. I do not plan to EVER withdraw funds from the account. I will only put in what I am sure I will not need. No education, house, or medical distributions will be taken.

I also believe, that my AGI will surpass $95,000 eventually.
So my question is:

Do I put my money in a Roth IRA because I am in the lowest tax bracket, and when I surpass $95,000 open a regular IRA and begin to contribute money to that?

Or do I open a regular IRA account now, and just keep depositing into that account?

All help is much appreciated...

Justin Lubell
JL@LubellNY.com
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24396 of 75532
Subject: Re: 16 Years Old - Roth or Regular? Date: 8/28/2000 7:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Greetings, Justin, and welcome. You wrote:

<<Hello, I am 16 years old, and believe it or not, I want to open a retirement account. I do not plan to EVER withdraw funds from the account. I will only put in what I am sure I will not need. No education, house, or medical distributions will be taken.

I also believe, that my AGI will surpass $95,000 eventually.
So my question is:

Do I put my money in a Roth IRA because I am in the lowest tax bracket, and when I surpass $95,000 open a regular IRA and begin to contribute money to that?

Or do I open a regular IRA account now, and just keep depositing into that account?>>

I applaud your willingness to plan for your retirement at such a young age. You will not regret doing so when you finally get there.

Everything in a Roth may be taken free of income taxes eventually, but part of any distribution in a traditional IRA is always subject to income tax. For that reason and given your age, you should use a Roth IRA for your annual contributions until you are no longer able to do so because of your earnings. Just keep pumping up to $2K per year into that beastie until your AGI won't let you use it anymore.

Regards..Pixy

Author: Ringfinger Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 24399 of 75532
Subject: Re: 16 Years Old - Roth or Regular? Date: 8/28/2000 10:59 AM
I agree with Pixy. Also, by the time that $95,000 number comes for you, they will have raised the limit anyway, unless you are going to be the next Bill Gates.

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25268 of 75532
Subject: Re: 16 Years Old - Roth or Regular? Date: 10/3/2000 6:12 PM
Roth for sure !

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement