Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Due to a miscalculation by our (soon-to-be FORMER) financial advisor, my husband's contribution to his 1998 Roth IRA was $2010, $10 over his contribution limit. The excess $10 was withdrawn BEFORE the due date of the 1998 tax return. (Date of withdrawal April 9, 1999) However, before it was withdrawn, the $10 received .79 in earnings.

The $10.79 was sent directly to us, not reinvested.

We received a 1999 Form 1099-R (Distributions From Pensions, Annuities, Retirement or Profit-Sharing Plans, IRAs, Insurance Contracts, etc.) for the $10.79. The form included the following information:

Line 1) Gross distribution: $10.79
Line 2a) Taxable amount: $ .79
Line 2b) Total Distribution: NO
Line 7a) Distribution code: JP
Line 7b) IRA/SEP/SIMPLE distribution: NO

Would anyone be able to tell me which form(s) I would need to file this information.

I am preparing our taxes, and this is one area that I have been spending days.. yes DAYS trying to figure out. And I'm still stumped. So any help anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.