UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Richthofen80 CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 127262  
Subject: Re: 3rd position HELOC Date: 6/25/2008 3:14 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
1> My assumption is that I am unlikely to need this money.

Well, duh, that's why its an emergency fund. Personally, I found many of your responses to be completely silly. Having a HELOC as an emergency fund is a bad idea. Banks can cut off the HELOC without notice (banks have already started closing HELOCs in high-risk markets such as CA). In the event you DO have an emergency (say, out of country medical issues, or medical issues in general, sudden death in the family, catastrophic uninsured asset damage, etc), you will need something probably like 72 hours to liquidity. Money Market funds, 3rd tier cash reserve mutual funds, CDs, savings account, etc. That 1% you might miss out on returns with cash-like assets would be a godsend knowing the money is available to write a check on, or even wire. HELOC as an emergency fund is up to the bank, and can be closed with little notice. You *need* that money available to you, or else its useless as an emergency fund.

>I think it's a better solution than having to pay penalties on CDs or taking money out of investments when you really don't want to.

You're acting like you wouldn't pay a penalty if you exercised the money in a HELOC. You're interest rate would be much much larger than a CD penalty, and also you'd now have an additional expense, shrinking the time that the money buys you until the emergency subsides. Not to mention, aren't there fees and costs associated with lining up a HELOC? The bankers won't do it for free, will they?

>That's not enough available resources for my comfort level / lifestyle.

Ok, well, you need to adjust the number to whatever your income and expenses are. $20K is six months worth of non-saving expenses for me. That means that if I lose my job, or my income goes to zero, 20K will last me six months of my mortgage, my food, etc. That's assuming at that time that I cut nonessential spending.

Personally, based on the limited info provided, you sound highly-leveraged. And that's fine, but if you want an emergency fund to mitigate risk, then you seem to want the benefits of the emergency fund (less risk) by using leverage (more risk). Doesn't really put you in a better position, IMHO
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement