UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Josef508 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 4  
Subject: Re: Need help with schools Date: 2/2/2011 4:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
(1)Interesting. Is this program ONLY targeted toward high school seniors, or can it be applied (modified) toward middle school?

(2)My daughter teaches in NH, and tasked with developing integrated course materials. Your program appears like a 12 week stand-alone curriculum; however, I understand may schools do not have "time" for new courses (there are requirements associating subject areas with "certified" teachers.

The reluctance by the TX schools toward your proposal may have more to do with the systems' accounting methods and meeting State & Federal regulations, guidelines, and other strings to get their monies. However, if you can integrate this material into a Social Studies (e.g. "Why are Americans' in dept")or Math curriculum; perhaps you may find it a smoother path. You could avoid confronting the schools completely, and attempt to sell your idea to one of the companies producing curriculum materials. They have a much larger sales force and plenty of experience dealing with schools nationally.

ASIDE: My experience with a private post secondary technical school way back during the 1980s; included a suggestion that we open a Summer Computer Camp, since student enrollment was very low during the Summer, and we had empty classrooms and computer labs. They informed me that to run a Summer program the tuition would be too high; because it must pay directly for the classroom and lab use (all overhead A/C, lights etc.) plus the costs associated with instructors and support staff. We did have some students during the Summer months, so the classrooms, labs and support staff were costs which existed anyway; but if you USED these resources the use had to cover the "accounting costs according to the accounting model in place". So even if we were paying for A/C in 12 empty class rooms, using the classrooms for a Summer program would require charging more than the market would bare. - Logic only a corporate bean counter could love.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement