Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: rmhj Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 439716  
Subject: Re: A Rare Blend of Egomania and... Date: 12/3/2012 6:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
1pg: A proof is a "secret"? Is that even possible? What if you, in your work, recreate the proof on your own? If Wolfram didn't publish it, then you should have the rights (and credit) whether or not he did it first (but just didn't tell anyone).

I'm sorry for taking 3 posts to beat this to death, but I think the answer, from my own experience, has to be "yes".

E.g., in a past job, I proved that a class of block SECDED codes that the hardware engineers thought would be "nice" did not exist. I believe it would have been entirely within the bounds of my employment to make that proof secret. (Had the class existed, however, I'm pretty sure it would have been patented.)

In another job, I had to prove to the satisfaction of the hardware engineers that a particular instruction sequence (which involved h/w tables and various arithmetic and logical operations) had specific convergence properties. If told so, I would have presumed that that proof was within the realm of trade secrets. (Not that the company would have wanted to keep it secret, since they wanted their customers to believe that their instructions and compilers gave correct answers.) That hardware was the subject of various patents.

So it's seems to me reasonable to believe that proofs might be subject to trade secrecy agreements. It does still seem odd that trade secrecy would be claimed for a "purely academic" proof.

rj
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement