Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: LorenCobb Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 443918  
Subject: Re: Why math is like the honey badger Date: 11/16/2012 1:16 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
1pg: But math also does not give a s$&t. I had this debate with someone on another board just two weeks ago. He kept asking me whether or not I could form an opinion about projections from the Bayesian analyses that were being bandied about. I kept telling him that my opinion did not matter. Math doesn't care about my opinion. Math simply is. It doesn't give s$&t. He couldn't seem to grasp that (or didn't want to).

Mmmm. Beware, there is quite a lot of irony contained within that short paragraph.

"Bayesian" analysis represents the only part of mathematics which really does produce conclusions that are relative to the individual points of view of the readers. Five different people can read a Bayesian study, and reach five different equally-valid conclusions. Each reader has his or her own "prior" knowledge; factor in the new data, and each arrives at a different "posterior" position. Yes, the five have moved closer to each other, but they still differ. In short, Bayesian math does care about your opinion -- and it is just about the only kind of math that does.

LC
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement