UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31203  
Subject: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/4/2008 6:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Picked five ripe tomatoes off the vine today. There are maybe a hundred more going ripe and many more on the way. Thus begins the August tomato push - meaning, off on others. There is no worry. If it's the same as last year, they'll all be taken plus I'll have some of my own to make sauce/marinara with. I dreamed of this day way back in May when the small plants went into the ground and the imagination ran with the taste of a home grown tomato. What I think is forgotten is the day of reckoning - which is now. :-)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: tgreese Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25710 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/4/2008 8:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
This is in Buffalo?

I'm in coastal Massachusetts, and I've been picking grape and cherry tomatoes for a few weeks now. No beefsteak tomatoes yet, but a couple of Early Girls and some heirloom type (Merlot?) have ripened. The little tomatoes have been really good, but the larger tomatoes have been unremarkable; not a lot of flavor ... kind of watery. Maybe they'll get better - the weather has been rainy and not very hot this July.

I've had some very good yellow grape tomatoes that look nothing like what they are supposed to be. I'd guess the plant was mismarked. They are almost a translucent yellow, and get deeper yellow, almost orange as they get really ripe. All of them are spherical, from about 3/4" to 1" in diameter. Anybody have a guess what they really are?

Author: buffalogal100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25711 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/4/2008 10:06 PM
No, I'm not in Buffalo. The screen name is a long story.

Anyway, I'm only doing Romas and Better Boys this year - but they like where they are. Too much.

Wish I could help you find out about the yellow grape tomatoes. Not all familiar with any of those varieties but they sound wonderful.

Author: dove29 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25713 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/4/2008 11:34 PM
One ripe tomato so far (Early Girl) and it was delicious.

Not very many fruits this year so far. The only things that are doing really well back there are the chili peppers, that @#$%$ mint, and the weeds.

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25714 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/5/2008 10:01 AM
that @#$%$ mint

Do you do anything with the mint. Any chance of eating a lot of it to help keep it in check?

Were you the one that let it escape? I usually feel a bit better if I did it. Unlike my battle with bamboo in the back, which a neighor planted, then moved out before we moved in.

Ford

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25716 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/5/2008 10:40 AM
I’m in S.E. Louisiana, about 45 or 40 miles north of N’Orleans, me. I’m getting ready to plant my Fall crop of tomatoes. I bought 3 heat resistant plants called “Sunmaster” about a week ago and I potted them up in 1-gallon nursery pots. I’m hardening them off as we speak (type) and will probably plant then into my new tomato bed in about a week or so. I also started a plum-type tomato called “Tormenta Hybrid” from seeds. Of the 7 seeds I planted, 6 sprouted. They are maybe 3 or 2 inches high and will probably be planted out into the new bed around the end of this month. ;-)

I've had some very good yellow grape tomatoes that look nothing like what they are supposed to be. I'd guess the plant was mismarked. They are almost a translucent yellow, and get deeper yellow, almost orange as they get really ripe. All of them are spherical, from about 3/4" to 1" in diameter. Anybody have a guess what they really are?

There is a yellow tomato called “Lemon Drop” that may be your mystery tomato or there is a cherry tomato called “Snowberry” that has a yellow outside with a white inside, if that helps.

C.J.V. - too hot to do much outside, now

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25718 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/5/2008 11:35 AM
I’m in S.E. Louisiana, about 45 or 40 miles north of N’Orleans, me. I’m getting ready to plant my Fall crop of tomatoes. I bought 3 heat resistant plants called “Sunmaster” about a week ago ...

I'm in NW Louisiana. First year of trying vegetables after playing with an herb garden. I've had great success with "Celebrity" this year. I'll see if I can find some "Sunmaster" up here.

Have you had any luck finding heirloom tomatoes or have you had to order seed?

JLC

Author: voelkels Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25719 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/5/2008 11:49 AM

I usually just order seeds from “Totally Tomatoes”, me. When I stopped at our local "Feed & Grain" store to pick up some lime, I saw the "Sunmaster" seedlings so I bought them too. ;-)

C.J.V. - they were grown by Stely Nursery, Inc, Covington, LA

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25725 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/5/2008 8:46 PM

We order seed, too. We tried the ones from Seedsavers.org and TotallyTomatoes.com this year, and so far, all are wonderful. I made my first batch of sketti sauce the other night. It's getting to be canning time. I have to make another batch tonight before I go to bed.
Kathleen

Author: medgoddess Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25726 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/6/2008 11:28 AM
Been eating fresh cherry tomatoes for about two weeks now...so sweet and tangy! Beefsteaks are on the vine, still green. That plant didn't do quite as well as the little cherry one. (only planted 1 cherry and 1 beefsteak plant)

I still have ~100 cherries left on that one plant!

Lettuce now ready to eat and the beans are ripening. Haven't pulled up a carrot yet, but they appear to be flourishing. Broccoli died off, need to revisit the cauliflower. Grapes are out, slowly ripening. $#%#^$ Japanese beetles love the grapevine.
Kristi

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25727 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/6/2008 4:24 PM

Check to see if they look like any of these:
http://tinyurl.com/62lteu
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1228(OG)
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=485
http://www.seedsavers.org/prodinfo.asp?number=1233(OG)
http://www.totallytomato.com/dp.asp?c=53&P={2422D72C-78C3-4928-833E-E2A8796F2857}
http://tinyurl.com/6pa46j
HTH,
Kathleen

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25728 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/6/2008 4:36 PM

BTW, do they actually get orange, or do they just turn deep yellow? Some of the assorted varieties of orange tomatoes turn yellow before they turn orange.
Kathleen

Author: dove29 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25730 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/7/2008 12:04 AM
The mint came with the house. I wouldn't mind it, if it wasn't always on the verge of taking over. The bees like it, though. The other day, after I cut the grass, I just sat on the back porch and had a soda and watched the bees visiting all the little flowers on it.

Author: mzladyjake Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25731 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/7/2008 4:10 AM
I planted my fall garden a couple weeks ago. 6 varieties of tomatoes. 2 heirloom (Beefsteak and Yellow Pear - perhaps that is the mystery tomato??) Big Boy, Celebrity, Roma and Heatwave are all hybrids. Am hoping that as the weather cools the German Johnson's will revive. Still getting some Chocolate Cherry tomatoes.

I've canned radish relish, bread and butter pickles and sweet pickle relish. Green peppers are starting to produce, and have a bumper crop of jalapenos and habaneros. Banana peppers are also in my fall garden. Found a great salsa recipe, but alas too hot for the next round of tomatoes yet... Did make a great gazpacho from the last harvest.

It is now 81 days straight of 90 degrees +!!! The garden is not producing a lot, but I am managing to basically sustain myself from it. High water bill - low food bill. I'm not complaining...

Cantaloupe for breakfast, salads, soups, etc.

LJ

Author: tgreese Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25732 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/7/2008 8:12 AM
Check to see if they look like any of these:
HTH,
Kathleen

Thanks for the suggestions Kathleen - the plants look most like Sun Gold (too orange)or Golden Gem (too opaque), but could be either depending on the photography. The current plants are what most people would call yellow - but they get a drop of red in a cup of yellow when they are really ripe. Next year I'll try a few different varieties and see if any of them match. You never know, I might find one I like better!

Cheers Tim

Author: pack713 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25733 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/8/2008 11:10 AM
Recommendations: 3
Hello all, first posting to this board. I am usually in the LBYM board. My tomatoes are taking off. I have been picking yellow and red cherry tomatoes for weeks now. I freeze those, so far up to 20 quarters of those. I am also canning tomatoes. Have 15 quarts of tomato juice. And the cuccumbers are insane. I have canned more pickles than a family of four can eat and there are more blooms comming in. The garden also has yellow squash, carrots, okra, peppers (all kinds, and green beans. This is the first year that we have had a garden here so I am proud that a first year garden is doing this great.

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25734 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/8/2008 11:32 PM
Hello all, first posting to this board. I am usually in the LBYM board. My tomatoes are taking off. I have been picking yellow and red cherry tomatoes for weeks now. I freeze those, so far up to 20 quarters of those. I am also canning tomatoes. Have 15 quarts of tomato juice. And the cuccumbers are insane. I have canned more pickles than a family of four can eat and there are more blooms comming in. The garden also has yellow squash, carrots, okra, peppers (all kinds, and green beans. This is the first year that we have had a garden here so I am proud that a first year garden is doing this great.

Congrats! And it will seem even cooler later on when you use the food you've canned.
Kathleen

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25735 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/8/2008 11:45 PM
"I have canned more pickles than a family of four can eat and there are more blooms comming in."

This is not meant especially for you but, if your garden has produced all you need of a particular produce, think about removing the plants.

Anywhere in the south and possibly somewhat farther north you could still have time to grow a quick green manure crop for either turning under to prepare for a fall garden or for next spring.

Stockbuyer2

Author: pack713 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25742 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/11/2008 9:17 AM
Recommendations: 2
I am giving produce to neighbors. Well, those that aren't running the other way when they see me comming with an arm load of something that I just don't have time for. We eat a LOT of tomatoes in this house. In the winter time we have a least two to three tomato based dishes a week, and the grocery bill will just way out there. Well, I don't have too much time today. Canning stewed tomatoes. And for some unknown reason, I just bought 1/2 bushles of both apples and peaches to can. The peaches and apples came from a local certified organic grower. Well, good luch to all. It's off the the kitchen I go. :-)

Author: prime13 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25753 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/11/2008 10:16 PM
I finally picked my first tomatoes today. Here in central Minnesota we have had a very cool summer and everything in the garden is really late. I don't remember ever not having any tomatoes in July and the ones I picked today probably weren't quite ready yet but I was just getting anxious. I am not sure I will be getting any winter squash this year, the seeds sprouted in late May or early June but the seedlings just sat there throughout the month of June, hardly growing at all. It has been a cool summer here, not good for the garden but I have enjoyed it.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 25791 of 31203
Subject: Re: 1st tomatoes Date: 8/15/2008 6:03 PM
I live in NE Ohio. Every year I plant sweet cherry tomatoes in large pots. Every year the plants grow huge and I have too many tomatoes that I share with friends.

This year, I have had the tomatoes since beginning of July. Lots of little tomatoes, but the plants themselves look sickly and are losing a lot of branches, so they won't be growing new tomatoes. Normally I have them until first early frost.

The leaves are yellow and dying. Don't know what it could be. Lack of fertilizer, too much fertilizer, too much rain? Too dry? We have had it all.

I did use the same soil as last year as the pots are quite large, and mixed in plantone and ironite. The plants really took off well at first.

OTOH, weeds are growing like topsy, can't keep up with them.

~Birgit

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement