UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: dianakalt Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308557  
Subject: Re: NEW MEMBER CONFESSION Date: 7/14/2005 8:22 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
2 or more years to get rid of $30K in debt doesn't seem unreasonable at all. You didn't get into the debt overnight, and your husband shouldn't expect to get out of it overnight either.

snip

Others may disagree, but I think working hard to pay off the $30K without tapping into the equity is the way to go. You'll get a great sense of accomplishment and you'll be less tempted to charge up the cards again. You're more likely to work hard and cut costs to pay off that debt if it's still sitting there than you would be to work hard and save up the $30K for something else.

I'm with OtherVoices. I started my current paydown effort about 3 years ago with close to 26K in debt, and I expect to pay off the last of it very soon. My great debt paydown the last three years has gone well because I managed to finally secure a job that I have been able to keep, after doing my own stint as an only-sometimes-employed IT professional. I could have done it in even less time, but I decided that since my debts were at quite low rates I would save a lot in my 401k and such, and I bought a house along the way. With 2 people who can earn income and prod each other towards LBYM, you should be able to pay the debt down once you gain employment.

The one thing that concerns me is that you still seem to be having difficulty holding a job. Perhaps it is worthwhile to consider moving to an area with a better market for your skills, which might increase the likelihood of you being able to continue making financial progress. I did it, and am enjoying my 2nd promotion in three years.

d
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement