UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3278  
Subject: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/12/2012 11:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/best-book-adaptatio...

I have seen most of these movies, and several of them I did not even realize were book adaptations. Perhaps it's time to hit the library.

Any that you think were missed on this list?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3229 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/12/2012 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
"Any that you think were missed on this list?"

A few, off the top:

The Maltese Falcon

King's Row

Carrie (Sissy Spacek version)

This Island Earth

Frankenstein (Karloff)

Dracula (Lugosi's and Langella's) and Bram Stoker's Dracula

The Thing From Another World, as well as John Carpenter's "The Thing." (Although I think "Who Goes There?" is considered a novella rather than a novel)

I do agree that To Kill A Mockingbird may be the best of the bunch.

Ken

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3230 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/12/2012 12:13 PM
More:

Lord of the Flies

The Three Musketeers

Ken

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3231 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/12/2012 3:01 PM
I have not read a bunch on the list, but do you think they agree with the source material.

Some movies that come from books I wouldn't really call adaptations. David Brin's Postman and Stephen King's Running Man come to mind when I think of movies where they could have skipped paying the author money.

Speaking of King, his short stories always seem to do better at being adapted. Shawshank is great, but so are Stand by Me and Green Mile.

Pet Sematary was chock full of horror, but not because of the story.

Ford

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3232 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/13/2012 3:08 AM
Recommendations: 1
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Great book, great movie.

Author: discurro Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3233 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/13/2012 10:20 AM
Some movies that come from books I wouldn't really call adaptations. David Brin's Postman and Stephen King's Running Man come to mind when I think of movies where they could have skipped paying the author money.

I think it depends on what you mean by a great film adaptation. If you are looking for a really good movie or if you are looking for a really good movie that is really true to (at least the spirit of) a really good book.

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3234 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/23/2012 2:49 PM
I think it depends on what you mean by a great film adaptation. If you are looking for a really good movie or if you are looking for a really good movie that is really true to (at least the spirit of) a really good book.

I don't know if you need to put the 'really good' in really good book.

The Princess Bride is one of the closest adaptations I can think of. While the book is good, it doesn't rise to the greatness that the movie does. Why is it such a good adaptation? Well the author of the book did the screenplay, and the author has some chops at writting them. William Goldsmith has an academy award for Butch and Sundance.

To tell the truth, the book reads like a novelization of the movie, even though it was published 10 years before the movie was made.

Ford
Was on vacation

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3235 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/23/2012 2:59 PM
"Goldman"

Ken

Author: FordLove Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3236 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/24/2012 8:45 AM
"Goldman"

Ken

I think my brain went 'UP' and shouted Squirrel while I was typing that. I know it isn't Goldsmith, I'm not even sure I've ever heard that last name.

Ford

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3237 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 4/24/2012 10:15 AM
"I know it isn't Goldsmith, I'm not even sure I've ever heard that last name."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Goldman

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001279/

I stumbled onto him way, way back when in the early 70s. For some reason, a book called "Boys and Girls Together" caught my eye - maybe it was someone's blurbs. Made me want to read everything by him I could get hold of, including books that were made into movies (No Way To Treat A Lady, Soldier in the Rain, Marathon Man) and looked forward to his name on movie credits. I've meant to read, but have not as yet, The Princess Bride.

IMO he has rarely disappointed. BTW, the books I've read of the movies are in my memory better than the movies, although the movies had their own moments.

He was/is one of the great ones.

Ken

Author: dunz41 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 3252 of 3278
Subject: Re: 20 Best Book To Film Adaptations? Date: 2/6/2013 12:05 PM
I agree. Book had a little more but still a great movie. I thought The Green Mile was pretty close to the book also.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement