Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 652  
Subject: Re: Catch and Release! Date: 8/30/2004 10:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
20% die, 80 % survive. I fail to see how a 400 lb grouper contradicts anything.

I was fighting a 30lb class yellowtail at Los Frailes (baja) on a tuna stroker, salas 6x jig with marlin hooks attached because the yellows were straightening the standard trebles. I had him to color, my rod pinned to the rail, when a grouper came up and inhaled my him and rocked me in about 5 seconds. I really hope my marlin hoook wasn't stainless... I can't remember... It was a mustad, I remember that much.

Once I released a surf caught sandbass that had a package snelled hook hanging out its anus. Lucky fish!

I have also released uncountable fish on party boats which did the backstroke.

A grouper with 20 hooks is an anecdotal, an aberation, and of no statistical significance one way or another.

I've also seen way too many black sea bass (endangered, no take) dragged on board for a photo, many of which subsequently did the backfloat. They should have been cut free as deep as a blade on a boat hook could reach.... 4', 6', but do not drag them out of the water.

And, yes, I've seen scads of albacore go into the dumpster at the Morro Bay ramp, and scads of mackeral, bonito, you name it, go into dumpsters outside party boat landings.

And, as a (ex)captain on commercial party fishing boats, witnesssed uncountable of people kill limits of fish they had no intention of eating, and other captains who insist on killing all the fish that are caught to enhance the fish counts, thereby attracting more customers.

Whether or not the numbers in the original thread article are correct, there's a lot of room for improvement.

The popularization of catch and release has a long long way to go...

and, yes, Michael, I release now everything except the occasional halibut or bass for the table.

My last trip to NZ I only killed one trout in two weeks of South island fishing(at Lake Ohau), and that because he took the streamer so deep he was bleeding badly from the gills and had no reasonable chance to survive. I did kill a few 'kingies' at Manganui Bay, caught from the beach and ate them immmediately as sashimi, and bbq'ed

SANO
no saint, but not wasteful, either
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
TMFDeej's CAPS Blog

Activist Investors Unlocking Value at LSB Industries?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement