Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mahomerCA Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121096  
Subject: 2001 IRA but already filed taxes Date: 4/9/2002 10:19 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I actually got my act together and completed my taxes early this year. However, we now have some extra money that I didn't plan to have this quarter. I would like to put this money in a 2001 IRA. I know that this IRA would not be deductible on my taxes. My question is, do I have to submit an amended return if I invested this money in a IRA marked as a 2001 contribution if it won't affect my taxes in anyway?

Thanks,

Homer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: joebedford Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60124 of 121096
Subject: Re: 2001 IRA but already filed taxes Date: 4/9/2002 10:25 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
I will defer if one of the experts on the board contradicts me, but my understanding is "no".

Thanks!
Joe

Author: pmarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60125 of 121096
Subject: Re: 2001 IRA but already filed taxes Date: 4/9/2002 10:26 AM
Recommendations: 2
I actually got my act together and completed my taxes early this year. However, we now have some extra money that I didn't plan to have this quarter. I would like to put this money in a 2001 IRA. I know that this IRA would not be deductible on my taxes. My question is, do I have to submit an amended return if I invested this money in a IRA marked as a 2001 contribution if it won't affect my taxes in anyway?

Maybe. If your AGI allows a Roth IRA contribution for 2001, that's much preferable to a nondeductible traditional IRA contribution. If you do a Roth, no change to your 2001 return will be necessary since Roth IRA contributions aren't reported on your return.

If your AGI is too high for Roth, you can still do the nondeductible traditional contribution. However, this must be reported on Form 8606, Part I. Doing so establishes your basis in the traditional IRA so you don't get taxed again on this money when you withdraw it in retirement. You'll need to amend your return and attach the 8606, even though it doesn't change your tax.

Phil Marti

Author: mahomerCA Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 60126 of 121096
Subject: Re: 2001 IRA but already filed taxes Date: 4/9/2002 10:34 AM
If your AGI is too high for Roth, you can still do the nondeductible traditional contribution. However, this must be reported on Form 8606, Part I. Doing so establishes your basis in the traditional IRA so you don't get taxed again on this money when you withdraw it in retirement. You'll need to amend your return and attach the 8606, even though it doesn't change your tax.

I guess I will have to do the amended return. If memory serves, I think TurboTax will walk me through an amended return. It is nice to know the reasoning behind this too thanks for the great response.

- Homer

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement