Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Adenovir Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5069  
Subject: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 12/31/2004 11:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I posted this over on the REHP board, but figured it would probably go better here. While contributions to retirement accounts are probably the biggest determinant of FIRE success, returns are important too. For those who are posting their total returns, please feel free to share both you great moves for the year and your big losers. Also consider adding your plans for 2005.

Here's mine (as of market close 12/30/04):

My total tax-sheltered portfolio was up 9.1% this year. Most of it is in a couch-potato like allocation. I do have 20% REITs in the 403b and that helped beef up the gains significantly. My worst performer was my Roth IRA which held individual stocks, mostly healthcare, it was down about 40%. Fortunately, for me it only represents about 5% of my total retirement assets. Please keep in mind that this is only my 4th year in the workforce so I actually had more in contributions than in investment gains.

My taxable accounts include a small trading account which was down a bit (-4%) and an investment club which was essentially unchanged (-0.8%). Together, these represent another 10% or so of my total assets.

My overall return for all non-cash accounts was 7.95%.

My house also did quite well this year. While I won't include it in the above results, I do consider it part of my portfolio. It was re-assesed as part of a refi to 30yr FRM @ 5.375%. It is up 24.6% since Dec 2002 when we bought it (based on comparable sales in our neighborhood).

My plans for 2005 are to keep my asset allocation exactly where it is and only try to pick stocks for the investment club. My Roth and trading accounts will be converted to index ETFs some time this year to fit in with my overall asset allocation.

Adenovir
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: roland465 Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2972 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 12/31/2004 12:18 PM
As of last night things break down for me as follows:

PFE down 30%
APCC up 0.93%
SCI up 15.5%

RRSP accounts up about 5 or 6%

These are total returns rather than YTD. PFE and SCI were bought about a year ago so that works out.

APCC has been bought off and on over the last 4 years or so. While the stock itself was origonally bought at the $13-$14 range and is now trading in the $21 range all gains were eaten up due to a low Cdn dollar. Never should have bought when the dollar was low. Such is life.

PFE is down due to the Coxx-2 scandals/worries and I'm not bothered by the loss. Will probably aquire more soonish.

The RRSP is really another matter all together. I need to do something about it. Professional unbiased advice would be a good idea...

Overall I'm not too unhappy with the state of things.

R

Author: preben Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2973 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 12/31/2004 12:32 PM
Good idea for a thread Adenovir!

My base portfolio is currently (and have been this year) 40% equity, 30% bonds, 20% commodity, 10% REITs as follows:

VTI+IJJ (US equity w. value twist)
BRSIX (US microcap)
EFA+VTRIX (foreign developed mostly w. value twist)
EEM (emerging mkt)
VNQ (REIT - had ICF before VNQ came out)
PCRIX (commodities - great diversifier)
VGPMX (mining/PM)
TIP (TIPs (surprise!)
PEBIX (EM debt - lowest e/r at 0.85%)
PFUIX (non currency hedged developed mkt bonds e/r at 0.5%)

Total return (before 15% non-resident alien foreign withholding tax on dividends only): 16.9% YTD 04 (30 Nov).

I did a few strategic bets outside the above base portfolio - some were big wins and some big losses but since smaller money involved they have not really affected my overall return above.

For 2005 I have no real changes to the above portfolio except consider to add some timber land (PCL) and maybe some international real estate fund.

Happy new year! Ben

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2974 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 12/31/2004 1:51 PM
According to Quicken, our overall IRR return on investments we manage has been 10.07% this year.

Breaking that down:

Taxable account (currently 3% of our assets): 43.56%
401(k) (currently 50%) of our assets): 11.61%
My IRA (currently 23% of our assets): 5.05%
DW's IRA (currently 24% of our assets): 9.92%

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2975 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 12/31/2004 2:09 PM
My primary retirement investment account was up 15.6% in 2004 (actually from 12/31/2003 to 12/30/2004 since I rebalance in the AM on 12/31).

Our Roth IRAs, both also using an asset allocation model but with only 6 asset classes instead of 11, were up a little over 14%.

Author: 0gre Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2976 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 12/31/2004 10:29 PM
Recommendations: 1
I track my portfolio based on those assets which I have a high degree of control over (Essencially my IRA and other individual stock holdings) and those assets which I don't have any control over (Employee Stock Purchase Plan -ESPP-, and 401K). Currently I don't have an overall return or even highly accurate individual returns but I have some pretty good estimates.

* 401K accounts for about 50% of my portfolio and is indexed to the S&P500 which returned about 7-9% over the year as a whole.

* ESPP shares varied throughout the year from between 5%-10% of my portfolio right now (I sold a lot of my ESPP shares this year). Returns on the ESPP were great since my company was involved in a government investigation and late last year the investigation was dropped. Between the discount I get and the stocks recovery I made 50-60% return on my ESPP shares.

* My individual stock purchases other than my ESPP did exceptionally well this year as well. Total return on my individual stock holdings was right about 25%.

My big wins for the year include:
* Transfering my old 401K accounts into a self directed IRA so I had more control over my investments.
* Personal decision to invest as much cash as possible into the markets rather than spending it on frivolous things.
* Stocks which I researched and picked personally all had excellent returns this year, ASVI returned about %30, and BRY (Petroleum) about 30% as well, plus GRMN...
* Buying Garmin when it dipped to $43/ share in late April and then having the confidence to max out my position when it plummeted to $29/ share 3 weeks later. (Garmin is now trading at > $61) Overall Garmin is my single biggest holding and has about a 60% overall return to date. YEAH!!
* TMF Hidden Gems newsletter: I have to give a bit of credit, while I haven't bought everything they've recommended and several of the recs turned into real stinkers overall it has done me well. Also, I was overall happy with the Stock Advisor newsletter but wound up cancelling it in favor of the Hidden Gems.

Stinkers for this year:
* Krusty Kremed (KKD) purchased based on TMF Stock Advisor: Boy did I get stomped on this one. The only good thing about this stock was that I got most of my money out before it really hit the fan.
* Other stocks I didn't do well on and wound up dumping: AWIN, TIVO, ARMHY, SCSS

Overall not a bad year for the first one which I really got involved in my personal investing.

-- Dennis
PS: Changed my account name from mtbogre to 0gre recently

Author: GoodHindSite Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2977 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 12/31/2004 11:34 PM
At the considerable risk of not being believed, I'll share my returns. I was up somewhere between 150% and 200% for the year. The big stock was SKYT - bought around this time last year for something like a 12-bagger. ADAM, ALDA, IVIL, DSCM, EONC and SVNX were all solid for me as well.

In 2005, I'll be paying taxes, and also accepting lower returns as stocks are far more efficiently priced than they were two years ago. If I can get 50% while maintaining tax efficiency, I'll be happy as heck. I do, however, have a little rocket fuel in the portfolio that could kick in the middle of the year (with a little luck, of course)..

Author: Volucris Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2981 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 1/1/2005 4:27 PM
My total return on all accounts is 9.58%, 1% less than my average. Still, I beat the S&P 500 by a little over 1/2%.

Author: tmeri Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2986 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 1/1/2005 11:04 PM
At the considerable risk of not being believed, I'll share my returns. I was up somewhere between 150% and 200% for the year.

Oh, I believe you. Does the rate of return include your whole portfolio, that is, stocks that had losses, too?

The big stock was SKYT - bought around this time last year for something like a 12-bagger. ADAM, ALDA, IVIL, DSCM, EONC and SVNX were all solid for me as well.

Perhaps you have shared this before, but I don't recall. What method do you use to identify these investments?

Author: SuaSponteMark Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2988 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 1/2/2005 7:39 AM
I'm not sure exactly what my returns were but they were positive. About a week ago I was overall in the green for the first time in a good 4.5 years.

Mark

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2989 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 1/2/2005 10:08 AM
I'm due to underperform. Each year since 2001, there has been some asset class (or a handful) which have shot the lights out relative to the "market" (roughly the S&P 500). As the latter index has underperformed in recent years, my returns have been good in comparison:

* 2001: -1.9% (S&P down around 12%) -- small cap value up 24.6%, REIT up 10.8%, bonds up 8.6%, gold mining up 12.0%.

* 2002: -5.4% (S&P cratered down about 22%) -- bonds up 6%, gold mining up 78.7%, REITs and emerging markets virtually unchanged, small cap value down "only" 11.8%.

* 2003: +27.2% (S&P up about 26%) -- small cap value up 37.7%, REIT up 37.5%, small cap growth up 43%, gold mining up 49.2%, developed international up 24.8%, emerging markets up 45.8%.

* 2004: + 15.6% (S&P up about 10%) -- small caps up 21%, REIT up 33.1%, emerging markets up 31%, international developed up 21.5%.

So far, there's always been something to lift me above the "market" in the last four years. The S&P is due to be a star performer relative to the other equities as it has lagged recently. When it outperforms, my "streak" (modest compared to Bill Miller's) will end. But so far, I'm pleased with the results and the significant decrease in volatility.

Author: GoodHindSite Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2990 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 1/2/2005 10:15 AM
>>Does the rate of return include your whole portfolio, that is, stocks that had losses, too?<<

I didn't have any stocks with big losses this year. I've got one tiny position that is currently down slightly (not worth taking the loss), and I threw in the towel on one stock this year that I held for only a small gain (TMNG). Last year (2003), I had a couple with 30-40% losses that I gave up on.

>>What method do you use to identify these investments?<<

There is no "method", per se. Or, you could say, the "method" has been developed by me with many factors and abstractions - like a pile of spagetti.

To use a metaphor that's sort of instructive, look at real estate investing. Most people want to buy real estate in reasonably nice areas for obvious reasons. If I was a real estate investor, I'd be looking at row houses in the inner city, bottom fishing for stuff that has potential and simultaneously lobbying the city to start a public works project to clean up the neighborhood. Most people don't have the stomach for such an endeavor.

The challenge for me is determining when the market for a particular security is radically wrong. It happens much more often than you'd think in microcaps, but there's much to consider in evaluating whether a price is wrong. ..That's the high level blueprint with none of the details filled in. ;)

If you want to dig into something for fun, why did EONC get down to 1 in the late summer? ..And why was I buying heavily between 1 and 1.2?

Author: 2old4bs Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2994 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 1/3/2005 8:23 AM
The 2004 return for my entire portfolio was 16.04%.

My REIT's did very well, as did an international small cap fund.  Also,
 my small-cap and mid-cap holdings did MUCH better than the large-caps.
Because I hold both REITs and the foreign small-cap in my TIRA, the 
return in that account was over 30%.

My future plans are to maintain my allocation percentages which are as follows:

Large-Cap U.S.            35%
Mid-Cap U.S.              13%
Small-Cap U.S.            14%
Large & Mid-Cap Foreign   20% (including emerging markets)
Small-Cap Foreign          5%
REITs                     13%

My current bond holdings are 9% of the total portfolio, but I intend to 
increase that to 12% in 2005, until I'm at 20% in 2012 (projected 
retirement year).

2old

Author: WyneFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2997 of 5069
Subject: Re: 2004 Investment Returns Date: 1/3/2005 3:15 PM
Total Portfolio: IRA(s), 401K, and individual stocks together increased 18 percent.....not as good as I hoped but acceptable.

WF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (14) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement