Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: HelicalZz Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Coverage Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 24983  
Subject: 2008 Biotech Contest - Selections Date: 12/2/2007 11:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
OK lets kick off this new contest. Between now and the 15th make two selections from the wide sphere of biotechnology (yup, I think one of my picks may stretch that). The contest will open with the opening price on the 16th (Joseph, get ready for that jump on the 14th and 15th). The contest will run for about a year, ending on a Friday near abouts 12/15/08 (too lazy to pull out a calendar right now).

Make the picks as replies in this thread please.

Rules

- Make two selections before market open on the 16th (I looked at 3 but the table was even harder to post).

- Market cap should be > 50M for US companies, and in that neighborhood for foreign ones. Much less than that isn't quite a real company yet. Ive read that many small companies have been registering on foreign exchanges to avoid the burdensome costs of SorbOx, so there are intriguing investments to be found, but 50M is a barrier under which investment should probably be predominantly private IMO.

- Stock price over $1. Again, leeway for foreign stocks should be OK, just don't be extreme.

- Be prepared to post > 10 times during the year. Ideally about the companies you picked (but anything is fine). I would like to see a investment hypothesis behind each of the selections from everyone, but it doesn't need to be before the 15th.

- First come first serve. Players can duplicate single selections, but not both.

I've only been thinking about this a little of late. One of my old picks that I own VTIV has dropped a lot on only modest news and may be good for a re-up, but I may want to look for the more odd. Again, there really isn't a prize, so have fun. I'll probably set up another CAPS doppel for tracking the eligible picks and look at the marketwatch option as well.

I think that covers it.

Ralph (Zz)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (45) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Implications of the Ballad of Ted Plotz
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement