UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dinoczar Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1482  
Subject: 2008 Book Log, with notes Date: 1/7/2009 1:56 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
It's that time of year again, the annual Dinoczar Book Roundup, where I skim lightly over the reading material for the year in the hopes that I might steer others towards (or away from) some of those eclectic titles.

By-the-by, if you like reading about reading, you really must pick up one or all of the compilations of Nick Hornby's "Stuff I'm Reading" column in the Believer Magazine: The Polysyllabic Spree, Housekeeping Vs. The Dirt, or Shakespeare Wrote For Money. I haven't snagged the last one yet, but I'm excited to.

Books read in 2004: 21
Books read in 2005: 28
Books read in 2006: 40
Books read in 2007: 30
Books read in 2008: 41

That's right, folks. I'm back on track, increasing my read rate by 34%! If my reading quotient is a leading indicator for the stock market, we should be out of these doldrums within the year.

I'm not sure what to credit the increase to. Shorter books, a decrease in TV Series DVDs loaned to me, a streak of graphic novels read, longer potty breaks... hard to say.

One thing is for sure, I have achieved my highest books-read to books-bought ratio since I was of an age where my parents bought all my reading material. Seriously, check these stats:

Purchased : 4
Paperbackswap.com : 19
Gifts : 4
Gutenberg.org : 12
Borrowed : 1
Stolen : 1

In the interest of full disclosure, paperbackswap.com costs you about $2.50 per book in shipping charges, so... not entirely free, but still... cheap.

As always, I enjoy hearing about what other folks are reading. I've picked up not a few good tips from this board.

2008, in chronological order, with sources:

1. Coyote Blue by Christopher Moore (paperbackswap.com)
Another enjoyable mind candy book from Christopher Moore. This one centers around a mischievous Native American spirit that haunts a California salesman.

2. Fragile Things by Neil Gaiman (gift)
A second book of short stories by the renowned author of many renowned books. Not as good as Smoke and Mirrors, the previous collection, but still worth reading. It could be that I received this in fancy hardback, so my expectations were raised unfairly.

3. Psmith in the City by P.G. Wodehouse (gutenberg.org)
Another witty light read from Wodehouse concerning this character that almost certainly inspired Douglas Adams' Dirk Gently.

4. Mike and Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse (gutenberg.org)
See above.

5. Persopolis: The Story of a Childhood by Marjane Satrapi (paperbackswap.com)
Fantastic graphic novel about a woman roughly my age growing up in Iran. I'm told the movie is good, too, though I haven't gotten around to it yet.

6. The Little Warrior by P.G. Wodehouse (gutenberg.org)
Consistent Wodehouse with a wily female protagonist.

7. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen (gutenberg.org)
The start of my Jane Austen streak, fueled by free books from gutenberg.org. I do enjoy a good Austen, which is just about any Austen.

8. Persopolis 2: The Story of a Return by Marjane Satrapi (loan from my friend Curt)
Curt heeded my lament at waiting for paperbackswap to provide me with the second installment of the wonderful Satrapi graphic novel, and came through in the pinch, even though I said I could only "try to keep it out of crayons reach". Awesome.

9. Positive Discipline by Jane Nelson (paperbackswap.com)
10. Positive Discipline A-Z by Jane Nelson, Lynn Lott, and H. Stephen Glenn (paperbackswap.com)
Great books on parenting. I liked it so much I bought a copy for my sister-in-law. They've helped me be a better parent.

11. Leave It To Psmith by P.G. Wodehouse (stolen from my friend Curt)
Curt was foolish enough to just let me keep this book after loaning it to me. By "foolish", I mean "not given to compulsively re-reading Wodehouse".

X. Please, Mr. Einstein by Jean-Claude Carriere (gift) - abandoned
Abandoned. I made it halfway through before I gave it up as too annoying. Perhaps it read better in the original French.

12. Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (paperbackswap.com)
Once you've read three graphic novels, you can probably call it a trend. An awesome, though haunting, graphic autobiography of Bechdel's troubled family.

13. Emma by Jane Austen (gutenberg.org)
One of Austen's best. After I finished it, we rented both Emma and Clueless and had a marathon.

14. Love Among The Chickens by P.G. Wodehouse (gutenberg.org)
An OK novelette featuring Wodehouse's Ukridge character. Not my favorite, but still worth reading.

15. Warren Buffett: An Illustrated Biography of the World's Most Successful Investor by Ayano Morio (bought at the Berkshire Annual Meeting)
A Graphic Novel? About Warren Buffett? Translated from Japanese? C'mon. How could I pass it up? A quicker read than The Making of an American Capitalist, but still hits some of the high points.

16. The Man Upstairs and Other Stories by P.G. Wodehouse (gutenberg.org)
Wodehouse. Wodehouse Wodehouse Wodehouse. In short story form.

17. The Man With Two Left Feet by P.G. Wodehouse (gutenberg.org)
See #15.

18. The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic and Madness at the Fair that Changed America by Erik Larson (paperbackswap.com)
My friend Curt's recommendation. Worth the read, but the serial killer storyline that parallels the story of the fair is creepy as all get out.

19. The Cobweb by Stephen Bury (aka Neal Stephenson and J. Frederick George (aka George F. Jewsbury)) (paperbackswap.com)
An OK Neal Stephenson, leagues better than his other collaboration with George F. Jewsbury, Interface. International intrigue in a small town.

20. What Are The Odds? Chance in Everyday Life by Mike Orkin (gift)
My friend Josh gave me an extra copy of this he had. A bit simplistic, but overall a good read and basic statistics refresher. Out of print now.

21. The Stupidest Angel by Christopher Moore (paperbackswap.com)
Good brain candy, a mash-up of characters from his other books, and also Zombies.

22. Avoiding Prison and Other Noble Vacation Goals: Adventures in Love and Danger by Wendy Dale (paperbackswap.com)
An entertaining first book of a adventurous young woman, autobiographical, though she discloses in the introduction that she has edited her life a bit to make it somewhat more entertaining/readable. Take note, David Sedaris: full disclosure is key.

23. The Subtle Knife by Philip Pullman (purchased)
24. The Amber Spyglass by Philip Pullman (purchased)
The second and third installments to the Golden Compass trilogy. I actually enjoyed these better than the first novel, though they're all entertaining fantasy and admirable in their world building.

25. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen (gutenberg.org)
Austen. Austen Austen Austen.

26. Citizen Vince by Jess Walter (paperbackswap.com)
Nick Hornby recommended. Not earth shattering, but a good read about a noble criminal in the witness protection program. I plan to get his other Hornby-recommended book.

27. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen (gutenberg.org)
See #24 and others.

28. Persuasion by Jane Austen (gutenberg.org)
Okay, I know, you get it, I read a lot of Austen this year. When do I get my honorary uterus?

29. The Best American Comics 2007 edited by Chris Ware, series edited by Anne Elizabeth Moore (paperbackswap.com)
The best? Really? Okay. It was fine, but due to my Graphic Novel rampage this year, I'd read the best of the compilation already. Still, you can't judge a Best American series by one year.

30. Lady Susan by Jane Austen (gutenberg.org and paperbackswap.com)
I actually have something to say about this one... This was a very early Austen work and I really liked the letter format, though she just gives up on it in the end and finishes the story in straight narrative, which I think is a cop out.

31. A Long Way Down by Nick Hornby (paperbackswap.com)
I put off this one because I found it hard to believe that even Hornby could pull off a good book about four people who want to commit suicide. He did okay, considering the flawed premise.

32. Electricity: A Novel by Victoria Clendinning (gift) (paperbackswap.com)
I was fooled into thinking this a historical fiction with some romance, whereas it turned out to be a romance with some historical fiction. Not terrible, but without the entertaining writing of... you guessed it... Austen. I stopped and started it several times, and only really came back to it because it was a small, portable paperback.

33. The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins (paperbackswap.com)
Oh, Richard Dawkins. Such an angry, angry atheist. Worth reading by anyone, though his tone may be a bit too off-putting in spots to get through for a believer.

34. Misquoting Jesus: The Story Behind Who Changed the Bible and Why by Bart D. Ehrman (paperbackswap.com)
A less angry atheist gives a good introduction to textual criticism.

35. Bone (complete series) by Jeff Smith (purchased)
An extremely thick graphic novel that my five year old son and I read together over the course of months. Also based on a recommendation by my friend Curt, who seems to have too much influence over what I read, as I look back on it. Awesome. My son now has the main character Bone as an imaginary friend.

36. Anathem by Neal Stephenson (purchased)
A much-though-warily anticipated new Neal Stephenson novel. One of my few purchases, especially in hardback. I actually pre-ordered it from Amazon, if you can imagine. Not quite as good as Cryptonomicon, but still a remarkable bit of world-building in its own right.

37. Trouble on Triton by Samuel R. Delany (paperbackswap.com)
A supposed classic of science fiction that was probably radical when it was written decades ago. Eh. Pass.

38. The Code Book by Simon Singh (paperbackswap.com)
Excellent history of codemaking and codebreaking, including some fascinating discussion of decoding ancient writings. Nice non-fiction companion for Stephenson's Cryptonomicon.

39. A Short History of Myth by Karen Armstrong (paperbackswap.com)
A little too-high level of the history of myth, and a little too flowery. But otherwise fine, and very short.

40. Gods of Riverworld by Philip Jose Farmer (paperbackswap.com)
Conclusion to the five-novel Riverworld series, about when everyone who ever lived on Earth is resurrected on a mysterious planet entirely composed of a super long, winding river. A great concept that sort of peters out by book 3.

41. The Theory of Everything by Stephen W. Hawking (gift)
Good a book as any to end the year on. Wraps it all up nicely. Though, honestly, I was only vaguely following him towards the end.

Previous Book Logs:
2004 Book Log, with notes:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=22208715
2005 Book Log, with notes:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=23505381
2006 Book Log, with notes:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=25022648
2007 Book Log, with notes:
http://boards.fool.com/Message.asp?mid=26244918
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Looking For More to Read?
Visit the Fool Bookstore for all of the Fool's favorite reads!
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement