Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFThump Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Ticker Guide Home Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 18054  
Subject: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/27/2012 11:48 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
duplicate post from SA:Ford

------------------------------

Thought I'd share this review of the 2013 Fusion from About.com.

Either the Fusion is every bit as revolutionary as the 1986 Taurus, or I'm a victim of Ford's carefully-crafted PR campaign, happily drowning in Fusion-flavored Kool-Aid.

http://cars.about.com/od/ford/fr/2013-Ford-Fusion-Review.htm...

I certainly hope the public is similarly wowed with the latest of Ford's global products.

Doug
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17175 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/27/2012 12:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Thought I'd share this review of the 2013 Fusion from About.com.

Funny - the ad I was served on the second article page was for a Volt.

Encouraging article. Looks like a solid winner, except perhaps price.

Richard

Author: BFatConservative One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17176 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/28/2012 8:28 AM
Thanks for the article. The resounding question that pounds in my head, is why can't they fix the myford touch? I'm sure it's extremely complicated piece of technology, but all the automotive press agrees it is too dang complicated. Aren't we going on 2-3 years with the same issue? We all know consumer reports will continue to ding them on it until oblivion.

MjH

Author: RHinCT Big red star, 1000 posts Ticker Guide SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17177 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/28/2012 11:01 AM
Perhaps the most difficult thing to do is to take something complicated and make it simple. Simple is hard.

RH in CT

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17178 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/28/2012 1:56 PM
Perhaps the most difficult thing to do is to take something complicated and make it simple. Simple is hard.

Simple interface is the essence of what propelled Steve Jobs into high tech sainthood. Apple wasn't doing much more than everyone else but they were doing it better. We're seeing that in aircraft as well. The newest avionic equipment has far fewer deep menus than in the past. Today more is accomplished with fewer button presses than was the case only a couple years ago and that allows the pilot to spend more time with his eyes outside the cockpit where they're needed. [For non-pilots, FAA regulations require pilots to "see and avoid" at all times, including when flying at high altitude or on autopilot.] It seems that MyFord Touch forces you to keep your eyes "in the cockpit" too much when you should be looking where you're driving. That's all the more irksome when you consider that the functions like radio and temperature control have nothing to do with safe driving. Surely, they could be designed to minimize distraction from the primary task. Voice command may be built in but it still has a long way to go before it's robust.

I haven't even seen the thing in person yet but based on descriptions I've read and on my career in industrial control systems the weaknesses of MyFord Touch are pushing the Fusion further down my short list of prospective replacements for my 10-year-old Volvo. A great idea, poorly executed, is no better than a bad idea. It appears from the descriptions, user comments and reviews I've read that MyFord Touch is in not well done. As executed, it's a dangerous distraction to the car's driver therefore dangerous to everyone who's in the car or nearby when it's being driven. I hope that Ford soon (NOW!) gets serious about making MyFord Touch simple.

KennyO
longtime long F

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17179 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/28/2012 2:14 PM
We're seeing that in aircraft as well. The newest avionic equipment has far fewer deep menus than in the past. Today more is accomplished with fewer button presses than was the case only a couple years ago and that allows the pilot to spend more time with his eyes outside the cockpit where they're needed.

We are probably getting better at prediction in choices and menus, based on environment context and mission goals. The Touch system might benefit from some of that.

As much as a hate taking choices and/or control away from pilots and drivers, it could be useful for a command and control system to judge when the parameters of aviating or driving are so dangerous that unilateral intervention of some degree is warranted. Like when you are stalling the aircraft because of unnoticed wing ice or disorientation, or about to drive into the back of the parked truck because the stupid Touch system can't find your music track.

A lot of that is already built into avionics and aircraft control systems of course, but it could be smarter, and avionics is decades ahead of automotive at this point.

Richard

Author: TMFBreakerRob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Home Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17180 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/28/2012 3:36 PM
Recommendations: 4
We've had our 2011 Edge.... with MyTouch.... for nearly two years. Here is what I think as a user:

* Most of the time, we have no issues with it. Want to change the climate control or entertainment? Easy with the screen...most of the time (exception noted below). Navigation requires you to be stopped to type in a destination because typing in an address is time intensive. We haven't tried doing Nav by voice command.... I suppose that's because voice command has it's own issues..... see my next point.

* Most of the touch control functions are supposed to also be possible using the voice control. My wife thinks it works well.... I find it frustrating/impossible. She's a former programmer/analyst/uber-computer person and I used to be an engineer. I think the voice control needs a lot of improvement. In theory, a flexible voice control system resolves the complaints about "difficult to use", wouldn't you think? I would note that when we're in the car together and I'm trying to give it commands, her suggestions don't work either.... so I'm suspicious it isn't all that great for her either.

* Some things are "difficult" for "some of us". My wife found the CD ejection to be easy.... I've never figured it out. (There is no physical or virtual button relating to ejection and no voice command that I can guess at). One might conclude that I'm an idiot and I must admit that I was the "go to" person in Vehicle Architecture at Ford to develop "idiot proof" instructions for new procedures because I'd see so many ways to interpret things, so many ambiguities and alternatives that require clarity to ensure consistent execution. Wouldn't you think a command like "Eject CD" (and variants) would be part of the entertainment voice control system? <sigh>

* Ford sent us a major software update with a thumb drive. We don't feel it made much difference, except they moved the outside temp display to a less convenient location and grayed it out to make it much harder to see.

Bottom line: Potentially brilliant, but it's not idiot proof.... or idiot tolerant.

<sigh>

Rob
idiot by profession and hobby

Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17182 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/29/2012 7:53 AM
"I'm sure it's extremely complicated piece of technology, but all the automotive press agrees it is too dang complicated."

Maybe they need to hire some younger writers that at least had smartphones for a greater percentage of their careers or lives (if not computers). <shrug> Kids these days....they're just not afraid to poke at tech & figure it out in 5 minutes unlike boomers.

"We all know consumer reports will continue to ding them on it until oblivion."

CR's relevance is what need sto be reconsidered too in an internet age where voluntary peer reviews need not be paid for. Case in point:

Recently (as reported here too) without even looking at it, as a test, I found mytouch immediately usable with eyes on road & voice commands. 30 seconds of poking around on the UI back at the dealer showed me anything I didn't already figure out by making voice commands. Pretty dang nice - I wish I could say the same ease of use of my Galaxy Nexus (which is nice but not no brainer). While I'm a techie I'm still not as savvy as 20 & 30 somethings & my pop isn't a technophile (he's 72) so though he doen't get 100% of it's functionality it's still a huge enabling win with part sof the UI's he does understand & use for greater enjoyment & safety of his Ford....or ones we've tested (most, we test drive several Fords every season or two - covers both the older sync and later mytouch iterations respectively).

Lets review - here's what the article uthor actually said about the MyTouch (I'll emphasise the positives with bold just so we don't miss that it was still very positive):
"While I'm impressed by the execution, I still think this system makes simple tasks too labor-intensive. When I needed to program the nav, I didn't even bother with the screen -- I used SYNC's voice recognition (which, thankfully, is the best in the biz). I did like the touch-sensitive panel for the climate controls -- it uses a matte finish that doesn't show fingerprints like the glossy panel in other Fords -- but I still preferred the old-fashioned buttons in lower-trim Fusions."

Sorry Aaron (article author) inevitable fingerprints make a nice shiny screen muted and grimy too and hardware/tactile switches aren't making a comeback, and that last concession seems to be the biggest "yeah but" from those who haven't taken a little time to evaluate or accept the wonderful new & otherwise impossible capabilities they'd be investing in...such as voice commands that really work and keep your eyes on the road & hands upon the wheel (nod to Jim Morrison/Doors).
B
as an annecdotal p.s.- My Dad doen't like the nose of the 2013 - says's he's miss his razor grill - go figure, we thought the razor/cylon grill was fugly when it 1st came along ;-)

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17185 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/29/2012 11:53 AM
Years ago, many of us wished that the domestic makers could deliver a solid, German-like car with better reliability and lower prices. I know I did. So after the collapse of the domestic economy, people started to talk about US made cars, and how great they really were.

Now we have the new Fusions, which I believe will sell very well. But it's an expensive, European car made in Mexico and the USA. It seems from all reviews the suspension and handling characteristics are superb for a sedan. Gas mileage has improved, as one would expect with four cylinder engines and a new transmission.

I was intrigued by the hybrid model. The trunk really shrinks down to 12 cf, which seems like a lot compared to the last Fusion Hybrid. Price somewhere close to $30K?

I'll have to drive one of these when they hit the lot near me.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17190 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/29/2012 4:56 PM
I will NEVER drive a 2013 automobile. I do have a leased 2012, not a Ford, however.

Kahuna, CFA

Author: HMALETTER Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17198 of 18054
Subject: Re: 2013 Fusion Review Date: 9/30/2012 10:49 PM
Took away your key Big K?

Supersticious?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement