Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tonyromo1741 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 51764  
Subject: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/24/2012 11:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
since the 2012 season is over and post-season awards are finished, I thought I'd dredge up the HOF vote controversy that is in about 6 weeks...

Brian Kenney, Keith Olberman and Ken Rossenthal spent over an hour on the Hot Stove program on MLB Network whether any of the following 1st year candidates will make the HOF on the first ballot in the voting in early January of 2013 because the steroid issue...

Barry Bonds...
Sammy Sosa....
Roger Clemens
Curt Schilling
Mike Piazza
Craig Biggio

plus following carry overs that got close to 50% of the 75% needed...

Jack Morris...66.7%, 14th year
Jeff Bagwell..56.0%, 3rd year
Lee Smith.....50.6%, 11th year
Tim Raines....48.7%, 6th year
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48271 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/24/2012 1:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Sosa, Bonds and Clemens will not make it, at least not first ballot. Schilling and Piazza, maybe. (Piazza's numbers are easily enough as the best offensive catcher in history, but there is a whiff of suspicion on him -- but certainly not as much as the first three I mentioned -- and Schilling's postseason record may be the difference for him, too.) Biggio should be in, with over 3,000 hits in demanding defensive positions (C, 2B, CF)... and no real suspicion of PEDs. If Biggio were up against *clean* Bonds and *clean* Clemens among others, he might not make it first ballot, but I think he will under the circumstances.

As for those returning to the ballot, this could be the year for Jack Morris, as his ascension in the vote totals over the years looks a lot like Blyleven's. That many of the new candidates may be passed over on first ballot because of known or suspected juicing will likely help him.

Author: wolverine307 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48272 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/24/2012 2:18 PM
Recommendations: 1
I'd put them all in, but what do I know?

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48273 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/24/2012 2:21 PM
I remember guys like Dale Murphy, Don Mattingly, and Edgar Martinez being among the best when they played, but they don't seem to get much love from the HOF voters.

Are they better in my memory than they were in reality?

Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48274 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/24/2012 2:47 PM
Murph came 2 homers shy of Cooperstown, in my opinion.

Fuskie
Who grew up watching him play and has shared lunch with him and he was gracious and welcoming of fans...

Author: patchdodd Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48275 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/24/2012 2:47 PM
Dale Murphy was very very good but had a short ceiling and long decline. Line up Mattingly or Martinez against the greatest ever and they don't measure up well. Mattingly only hit 30 home runs three times, and 20 two others. Of his ten most similar players only Puckett (#4) is a HoFamer and he a somewhat questionable selection. Martinez probably even less qualified. Raw offensively very similar to Mattingly but he played in a more prolific offensive era and didn't play defense after his 30th birthday. None of his ten most similar are HoFamers

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48276 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/25/2012 6:39 PM
I'm definitely biased but of the 1st year candidates, I'd put Piazza in.

Of the carryovers, I'm not sure that Morris will make it. I think that Bagwell has a good chance, if not this year, then in the next couple of years.

Christina

Author: tonyromo1741 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48277 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/25/2012 7:35 PM
It's strange that most HOF voters say no to Piazza this year...

according to Ken Rossenthal, Mike Piazza's name has never shown up on any steroids list...he's being targeted for playing in steroid era, guilty unless proven innocent I guess...

his power hitting stats should put him in this year, #1 all-time in HR's by a catcher...

Christina, correct me if I'm wrong, but, to my recollection he was pretty much the same size as a Dodger rookie as he was at the end of his career...

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48279 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/27/2012 1:35 PM
Christina, correct me if I'm wrong, but, to my recollection he was pretty much the same size as a Dodger rookie as he was at the end of his career

I think he was pretty much the same size (big head and all) but I've read allegations that he was on steroids when he was in college and therefore the effect had already taken place when he joined the Dodgers.

I also remember reading way back when about "back acne" that he had which was supposedly a sign of steroid use.

Who knows......

Christina

Author: Jacketfan Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48296 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 11/30/2012 2:42 PM
I think he was pretty much the same size (big head and all) but I've read allegations that he was on steroids when he was in college and therefore the effect had already taken place when he joined the Dodgers.

I also remember reading way back when about "back acne" that he had which was supposedly a sign of steroid use.

Didn't know any of that. I was hoping for first ballot also, and I'm also biased (he's married to my cousin, though I was a fan before that.)

v/r
Tom

Author: chkNYC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 48337 of 51764
Subject: Re: 2013 Hall of Fame vote Date: 12/26/2012 7:16 PM

More on that in this article:

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/blog/eye-on-baseball/21452753/r...

Christina, hoping that everyone is having a happy holiday season

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement