UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 465270  
Subject: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/23/2014 3:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 21
First Russian humor.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/olympics-fourth-place-medal/ru...

Russia pokes fun at Olympic ring mishap during Closing Ceremony

Then comment: With all the fear before and complaining during methinks the Russians can be congratulated for a resounding success. The events went off almost flawlessly and political gestures were kept to a minimum. Hopefully a standard that can be followed to South Korea and beyond.

Tim
Print the post Back To Top
Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445326 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/23/2014 3:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Not worth $51 billion.

"The Winter Games are what they are, and what they are is a cozy, convivial meeting of a couple dozen nations that embrace winter sports the rest of the world doesn’t care about. The participation and event numbers keep growing; the nations winning medals do not. Twenty-six won medals in Sochi, the same as Vancouver, the same as Torino. Twenty-four countries won medals in Salt Lake City and Nagano despite 30 fewer events.

Instead, we got the biggest development project in Russian history in a summer resort city to glorify and validate an authoritarian government. We got thousands of unfinished hotel rooms, brown water from faucets, broken elevators, doors without knobs, showers with curtains, sporadic Wi-Fi, horrific food, stray dogs.

We got one of the world’s most volatile regions, closer to Syria and Iraq than Moscow, and the largest security operation in Olympic history.

We got a four-month, 40,000-mile torch relay that went to the North Pole on a nuclear-powered icebreaker and with divers equipped with special flares into the planet’s deepest lake.

We got an Olympic Park rivaling anything seen at a Summer Games with a colossal concrete cauldron and beautiful, state-of-the-art venues that will be used for 17 days and who knows when again.

We got 12 made-for-TV events added to the 25 already introduced since Lillehammer. It wasn’t enough to have snowboard half-pipe, so they added ski half-pipe. They couldn’t choose between snowboard or ski slopestyle, so they added both. It wasn’t enough to have snowboard parallel giant slalom; they had to have snowboard parallel slalom. Figure skating, luge and biathlon apparently needed mixed-gender team medals.

The enduring image from Lillehammer was the cross country skiing. It was free, and thousands of families trekked through town each morning, across a snowy field, up a hillside and disappeared into the woods with tiny red and blue Norwegian flags sticking out of their backpacks — to join the thousands who had been camping overnight in the snow. There were no bleachers to sit on, unless you count the tree branches.

This is the Winter Olympics. Not a 150-foot, fire-breathing monolith of a cauldron surrounded by laser lights and dancing fountains, surrounded by acres of mud."

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2014/Feb/22/olympics-lose-the...

Author: soycapital Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445328 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/23/2014 4:52 PM
Recommendations: 3
<Then comment: With all the fear before and complaining during methinks the Russians can be congratulated for a resounding success. The events went off almost flawlessly and political gestures were kept to a minimum. Hopefully a standard that can be followed to South Korea and beyond.>

Agreed, good job especially after the negative start from the the mass media bunch.

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445335 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/23/2014 5:50 PM
Agreed, good job especially after the negative start from the the mass media bunch.

soy

One you may find interesting. It would appear our rail capacity is not able to move both the massive increase in oil shipments and "last year's record harvest" at the same time. I'm guessing oil has the higher margins.

Tim

http://boards.fool.com/shipping-oil-or-food-31133404.aspx

Author: namkato Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445346 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/23/2014 9:53 PM
Recommendations: 0
If I were Russian, I would not be happy about the amount of money spent on two weeks worth of recreation. Russians have the shortest life span of the western industrialized countries.

Author: soycapital Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445351 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/23/2014 11:19 PM
<I would not be happy about the amount of money spent on two weeks worth of recreation>
They may not understand it but long term I believe this will be very good for Russia. They pulled it off contrary to what many believed. The country will benefit from that in many ways.......

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445363 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/24/2014 8:18 AM
They may not understand it but long term I believe this will be very good for Russia. They pulled it off contrary to what many believed. The country will benefit from that in many ways.......

soy

Completely agree. I have a couple of Russian friends who hate Putin but are very proud of the success of the games. I chatted with them before it started and they apologized that they were going to cheer for the Russian Hockey team even though they are now proud Canadians. They would have loved the hockey medal but I got an email last night that they are now claiming to be Canadian hockey fans to all their Russian friends. }};-D

The wife commented that if Putin hadn't spent the money on the Olympics he would have found a way to split it up with his buddies anyway. Much of it was spent on solid assets that hopefully will improve the lives of the locals?

Tim

Author: JLC Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445367 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/24/2014 9:24 AM
Not worth $51 billion.

I tend to agree. Yes, Russia built a bunch of infrastructure and what they are trying to develop into a world destination/tourist spot. The games went off great, whether it was worth the cost comes in the years that follow. I read somewhere that it is estimated to cost about $7 billion per year to maintain all the structures that were built. Can Russia afford that? Will those sites generate that much income? I don't know.

What I think will happen eventually, the Olympics will wind up rotating through a small cluster of cities with the occasional outlier. Kind of like the Super Bowl. Places like LA, Atlanta, London, Paris, etc., with most of the sites/venues already built and maintained will be the future homes. Building an Olympic city from scratch will become very uncommon.

JLC

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445368 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/24/2014 9:54 AM
Recommendations: 0
What I think will happen eventually, the Olympics will wind up rotating through a small cluster of cities with the occasional outlier. Kind of like the Super Bowl. Places like LA, Atlanta, London, Paris, etc., with most of the sites/venues already built and maintained will be the future homes. Building an Olympic city from scratch will become very uncommon.

JLC

While it makes sense why would they do that? As long as there are cities and countries willing to "compete" for the games and provide all sorts of "goodies" to the decision makers I can't imagine a reason for them to change?

Perhaps if they run a competition and nobody shows up there will be changes. Of course the dreamers are not the payers, in fact they have much to gain by bringing home the games.

Tim

Author: steve203 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445369 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/24/2014 10:19 AM
Of course the dreamers are not the payers, in fact they have much to gain by bringing home the games.

And there is the hangover, when the facilities are abandoned, rot and become eyesores.

Eight years after Greece spent ~$15 billion to stage the 2004 Summer Olympics, some of those once-gleaming venues are crumbling.

The economy is a part of it, but so is the fact that many of these venues were built only for sports with little local interest (like softball), and now have no use.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/2004-athens-olympics-venues-a...

Eerie photos of abandoned Winter Olympics venues

Host cities across the world spend millions (and most recently, billions) to build venues for the Winter Olympics. But what happens to the venues when the Olympics end? In some past host cities, many venues are now abandoned and forgotten.

http://myfox8.com/2014/02/22/eerie-photos-of-abandoned-winte...

Steve....hates waste

Author: tim443 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445371 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/24/2014 10:51 AM
Methinks some venues have done much better with Calgary Winter Olympics 1988 now a national training center and part of a University campus.

It may be early on Vancouver but much of the infrastructure is now imbedded in the transportation system of a massively growing city and Whistler is now a world class winter resort where my ski bum grandsons occasionally spend weekends with their ski bum parents. They actually have ski slopes just 15 minutes drive from their West Vancouver home but Whistler is a special treat.

http://metronews.ca/features/legacies-of-the-2010-vancouver-...

January 10, 2014 Updated: January 10, 2014 | 12:10 pm

Grab bag of legacies at Vancouver Olympic venues

The Olympic-triggered, $800 million Sea-to-Sky Highway widening made the drive to Whistler faster and smoother. Vancouver International Airport is only 26 minutes from downtown via the $1.9 billion Canada Line. Vancouver Convention Centre was expanded for $880 million to host major international conventions and it has the 2010 Winter Games cauldron as a decoration.

Montreal was an economic disaster but that was summer Olympics in Canada. I was part of the security team for the boat races, the venue was actually in Kingston Ontario. I had the best view in the world from 500 feet above the sail boats sitting at the back door of a Sea King with an LMG.

Tim

Author: flyerboys Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445373 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/24/2014 11:03 AM
Los Angeles actually net PROFITED from hosting the 1984 games, and still has an endowed fund throwing off money annually for youth sports programs as a result.

As a side effect the city culture became very very skeptical about subsidizing sports infrastructure, and so we are still the largest media market without an NFL team.

One of the few new pieces of infrastructure, the Olympic Velodrome, is already gone but was quickly replaced by this glory:

http://lavelodrome.org

and we still love our older Encino Velodrome, although non-standard and so not "Olympic", it was and is volunteer built and run, less formidable in the walls on the curves, and adored:

http://encinovelodrome.org

I rode the LAVelodrome once for the thrill, but my old bones are no longer up to it and so Encino is my playground.

david fb

Author: warrl Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 445413 of 465270
Subject: Re: 2014 Winter Olympic Closing Date: 2/24/2014 4:56 PM
Recommendations: 1

The problem is that any place that can afford the financial outlay of hosting an Olympics, has no need to do so - and probably can't afford the traffic complications.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (13) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement