UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Rayvt Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76421  
Subject: Re: Strategy comparison S&P500 vs. IUL Date: 4/2/2013 7:28 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
$25k-$50k reserves in order to put $10,000 at risk? $35k-$60k liquid net worth in order to safely put $10,000 into the S&P?

Isn't that a wee bit overly conservative? That would dramatically dilute the real yield of the $10,000 in play. (Not saying that's particularly bad... financial survival has its costs... it just seems a bit steep at its face, to me.)

Oh. I thought you were asking the question in general. Evidently you were asking in relation to an investment portfolio.

For the general case, I was thinking along the lines of an "emergency fund". I was thinking that you need $25-50K to tide you over (paying for mortgage & groceries, etc.) for 6-12 months if you lost your job.
Although, I must say that the guy who writes http://www.controlyourcash.com makes a good case for *not* having a dedicated e-fund. "5) An emergency fund. Just kidding. No one who actually understands money has one."

But in relation to an investment portfolio .... that's a matter of asset allocation. That's probably the #3 or #4 most discussed topic at financial sites, so it's been rather throughly covered.

Frankly, I think that thinking in terms of "non-risked reserves in order to safely put $10,000 into the S&P" is embracing defeat from the get-go. If you can't afford to put $10K into the market, don't do it. I think that some Financial Advisors emphasize people's fears in order to push them into inappropriate investment vehicles.

Not quite sure what the thrust of your question was -- perhaps I've over-reacting.

dramatically dilute the real yield of the $10,000 in play.
Um .... if you only want to put $5K at risk, only invest $5K. Don't play foolish games by investing 10K and then directing 5K of it into some purportedly "non-risked reserve", and thinking that you have thereby invested 10K.

You shouldn't mentally segregate your net-worth into distinct buckets, but should think of it as all one big lump. You (you, Dave Leverage Planner) have said this yourself, when you say that you need to have the picture of a client's entire financial situation in order to advise them properly.

Really, somebody's "non-risked reserve" is their job and other solid income-stream(s). It's silly to isolate one chunk of their net worth (like in an IUL) and saying that part of it should be at risk and another part of it should be non-risk.

Market risk? Whatever. Keep it all in perspective. There's the risk that you'll be squashed by a runaway gravel truck on the drive to work. (Not being facetious. I saw this happen twice in the 18 years we lived in Algonquin.)
You are not going to lose all your money that's invested in the S&P500. If a crash happens and you lose half of it -- bummer. Hang on and it'll recover in a few years.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement