UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: DrTarr Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76078  
Subject: Re: Asset Allocation Date: 4/6/2006 10:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
#29 (who is actually vested for a puny pension with a previous employer, to the tune of $250 a month at age 55 or $620 a month at age 65, which will buy one gallon of gas by then)

__________________*,*_________________

Ya, but will you need the gas?

Angel,

Welcome to the board. I hope that some of the posts don't drive you away. Seems a lot of pent up frustration with opposing views leads down that name calling road.

And of course - now I am going to post some of my opposing views!

What is the best asset allocation for someone either retired or on the verge of being retired?

The best allocation depends on several factors, some of which can be known at the time of investing - or the time of retirement, such as:

What are the goals, dreams of the individual/couple retiring? How much money will that take? How much will they need? Then how much do they have? - How much will be filled through SS/ Pensions etc.
-That will leave what they need to take out of the retirement account.

Then, with the amount they have and given current yields, and historical returns, what allocation would give them the money they need - within the RISK TOLERANCE of the retirees.

From this you can decide the best "theoretical" allocation.

There are three reasons to invest in bonds:
If the person has some risk adversion. Bonds will decrease the "volatility" but usually at the cost of some returns.
If the bonds will provide the return they need, then why risk more than you need. IF the bonds get to a point taht rival the hsitorical returns of other asset classes, why not load up on more bonds?
If the people are happy with bonds. Always an investing decision.

Given these three things (and the level of each) you determine how much of your portfolio to put into bonds. There are many studies out there that show different equity/bond allocations, but most of them only use the two asset classes and are not very diversified. ie they use the S&P500 and US Treasuries - two of my least favorite investment tools. From these studies, the show that "historically" about ~4% can be taken out and the retirement portfolio balance will last 30 years - but this is given the absolute worst (recent) history has. And this has the two assets I mentioned. So using that, many folks come up with 25 times the amount you will be spending.

This 4% is really only a first year estimate and is a reasonable target. Although if you include several other asset classes, real estate, precious metals, foreign and high yield debt and diversify to more equities than the S&P500, a portfolio can actually survive history with over 5% inflation adjusted withdrawal rate. You would then need about 20 times the annual amount you plan to spend from the account.

The reason I call the 4% a target is because, if you have returns of 15%, then you could take out at least 10% and still have a better chance of you portfolio lasting 29 years than in the historical testing.
Not suggesting you always take out the full returns, but just to note, if 4% is the worst maybe you are not getting the worst and you should be able to enjoy your retirement!!

DrTarr

Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (51) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Netflix Riles Investors
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement