Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: martybl Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21891  
Subject: 2nd body - 1DX or 5D Mark III? Date: 3/4/2013 11:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've been shooting quite a bit lately. My girls have been doing Chinese Martial Arts, Wushu, and dance, and I've been taking pics at their performances. I've been shooting with Canon 1D Mark IV and the 70-200 f/2.8 IS "L" lens and have been extremely happy with the results. Their friends and families have been happy as well, and quite a few of them are using my shots as FB profile pics, the ultimate compliment.

I'm feeling the need for a second body, though. While the above combo works great for the actual performances, it's a little too long to get panoramic shots before and after the performances, particularly the closings where all the performers are on stage. It's also a little unwieldy for shooting candid shots of the kids getting ready and hanging out after their performances. What I'd like is a body that I could mount the 28-70 f/2.8 "L" lens on for these shots.

I'm considering the 1DX and the 5D Mark III, and was hoping to get some input. It seems like the 1DX has significantly better build quality, which is important, since I tend not to be gentle on my equipment. It does have the ability to shoot faster, though I tend not to use the fast burst mode on my current 1D. 3-4 fps seems fast enough, and gives me a whole lot less to process. It would be nice to have another camera in the wings to take the place of the 1D Mark IV, which is entering middle age. I've shot a LOT of frames on it, though it seems to be holding up pretty well.

The 5D Mark III is significantly cheaper and lighter. I don't have any problems carrying the 1D, but wondering if the pros out there have experience lugging two full sized bodies, and what their thoughts are. It's got a few more megapixels in the sensor, though I'd be surprised if that makes a difference in the quality of the images. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

martybl
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Online Photos
Yahoo! Groups
(Registration Required)
2013 Feste Award Voting Begins!
Who will win the 2013 Feste Award? Vote now for the Fool that most exemplifies the Fool Community mission of Learning Together!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Tax Strategies

TMFPMarti-Feeling Good
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement