Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: BaumgrenzeJohn One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19483  
Subject: 3 and 6 Month Treasuries Date: 10/8/2008 3:58 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Will someone help understand the 'economics' of falling rates of return on short term treasuries?

I can see that the Fed may want to cut rates to stimulate the economy; cheaper rates to borrow makes it easier for a companies to finance expansion and operations.

What I cannot see is why anyone with capital to invest would invest in an instrument whose interest rate seems to be falling to 0% or into 'negative territory.'

Is it not the case that the government finances its short term operations via these instruments? If they cease to offer a return, who will buy them?

Is it 'voodoo economics' to conclude that whenever the rate of return on these instruments is significantly less than the rate of inflation, they are a de-facto form of 'voluntary taxation?'

I am not a 'disinterested party.' I have investment responsibility for a 90+ year-old relative. We have her in 180 day treasuries because

a) they are 'safe;'

b) they are consistent with a 'prudent investment' for an individual whose estate may need to be settled sooner rather than later; and

c) until recently, they returned enough to more than cover her expenses.

In a month, I need to decide whether or not to reinvest.

The days of a sufficient return appear to be at an end. How long will it be until foreign holders of US debt come to the same conclusion? What will be the consequences?

Thanks for any insights.

baumgrenze
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement