Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: cdn100 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 17927  
Subject: 3-D printing Date: 11/26/2012 4:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
How about a good fund to get invested in the emerging 3D printing industry. Any known funds holding these stocks or concentrating in this industry?
Thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: CABob Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17815 of 17927
Subject: Re: 3-D printing Date: 11/26/2012 11:05 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I believe that would be too much of a narrow focus for a fund to specialize in. Besides, companies that are involved for the most part have it as a relatively small portion of their overall product line from a corporate standpoint.

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17816 of 17927
Subject: Re: 3-D printing Date: 11/27/2012 12:11 PM
3D printing is a very small part of a very large field and it's likely to stay a relatively small part. Even if a fund focused on manufacturing, 3D printing would be a speck in its portfolio. If 3D printing is your interest and you think it's a place to invest you should look for a company instead of a mutual fund.

KennyO

Author: mscroesus One star, 50 posts Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17817 of 17927
Subject: Re: 3-D printing Date: 11/27/2012 1:54 PM
Recommendations: 2
There are really only 2 players in the exciting 3D printing business (3D, DDD and Stratasys, SSYS) so there probably aren't any funds concentrating on the sector -- yet.

I've bought and sold 200 shares of DDD several times this year, making about $3500 in profits overall. I'm long the stock now and expect to keep it in my portfolio for the foreseeable future (not necessarily the same shares, because I will probably keep selling on the upswings and buying on the dips). For whatever my opinion is worth!

Good luck-

Ms C

Author: KennyO Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17818 of 17927
Subject: Re: 3-D printing Date: 11/27/2012 4:49 PM
I'll add that 3D printing has lots of applications in foundry, i.e. patternmaking. There's a Jay Leno video showing an imager/printer that let him make a cast valve part for his White steam car. I've lost the link but a search should reveal it.

KennyO

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement