UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: ChocoKitty Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5805  
Subject: Re: Go faster to go slower? Date: 8/13/2002 7:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
3. Do I even want to be a lawyer? (A simple question with a complicated answer, for me anyway).

What I usually tell people is: unless this answer is a definite yes, don't go to law school. But you're definitely mature enough to know what's best for you, so keep on asking those questions!

If you want to take a look at a rough-and-tumble message board full of lawyers, check out Greedy Associates at http://www.infirmation.com. You thought the REHP was rude and obnoxious? Wait until you see this board....

I've posted numerous messages over the last 2 years regarding my job and all its adventures. As some people know, I recently walked away from a law firm less than 6 months after making partner. If you like setting your own work rules, you can to some extent working as a solo, but there's still court rules and/or government rules (depending on your practice) and opposing counsel to deal with.

Job security is also not guaranteed. I graduated from a top-10 law school and still had plenty of friends who couldn't find legal jobs a year after graduation. Even in my field, which was supposedly recession-proof, there are layoffs and even several law firms that have gone out of business.

If you'd like to chat further about this, drop me an e-mail and I'll be happy to direct you to some resources and answer any other questions you may have. Yes, I finally like my job enough to stay for a while, but I also know that I'm one of the extraordinarily lucky ones.

Good luck!

CK
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (8) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement