No. of Recommendations: 0
3) I agree that money in a Roth IRA is much better than then same amount in a traditional IRA but if I read you post correctly you can't currently afford to max out the IRA's. So the choice is more like either $3000 in a Roth or approximately $4000 in a traditional IRAs to be the same after taxes in this tax year.The additional money in the traditional IRA tends to lessen the advantage of the Roth IRA.

I'm a little confused by this argument, Greg. What additional money are you referring to? AFAIK, we are currently limited to $3,000 total, whether you pay taxes now or later.

The traditional IRA $4000 figure came from assuming that the marginal tax rate was something like 25% so that contribution to the TIRA instead of the Roth would result in about a $1000 tax savings, which would have the same net after-tax effect(in the current year) as a $3000 Roth contribution.

It is true that there is a $3000 limit per person but since they are a married couple, they can each contribute up to $3000 for a total maximum of $6000 dollars. If they wanted to contribute a total of $4000 this year they could contribute $2000 to each of their accounts. Starting a few years ago, even if one of the spouses is not working they can still both make IRA contributions.

Greg
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement