Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: newsreporter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 215  
Subject: 3 Reasons IAC Thanks Microsoft Date: 8/2/2009 2:58 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
3 Reasons IAC Thanks Microsoft
http://bit.ly/llhJH

1. Your deal with Yahoo shadowed our poor Q2 financial results.

While the whole world focused on the minutiae of the search deal between Microsoft and Yahoo, Diller’s IAC (IACI) released its quarterly numbers. They weren’t up to analyst estimates, so I’m sure Diller was glad to have the insulation offered by the Microhoo hype.

IAC said revenue from its media and advertising unit, which includes search engine Ask.com, fell by 10% to $168.6 million. The company’s overall revenue declined 4% to $340 million.

2. When our deal with Google expires in 2012, we now have options.

Diller expressed enthusiasm for the deal between Yahoo (YHOO) and Microsoft (MSFT) because is provides him with leverage when his current search deal with Google (GOOG) expires on Dec 31st 2012. With a stronger alternative, Diller will have a better chance of negotiating more favorable terms.

"We do better when there are two big competitive forces out there." Diller said "the plot" right now is for IAC to boost the value of its searches—making it even more crucial to consumers—in order to stoke a bidding war with what he expects to be two hungry competitors by then. "I want to have two players out there," he said during his conference call. "That’s good for all parties."

3. You did what I couldn’t–move Ask.com up to #3 in search share.

It’s probably not the way that Diller had envisioned Ask.com achieving the #3 spot–he would have preferred that Ask had organically increased its share of searches–but I’m sure he’ll take it. With Yahoo effectively out of the search engine business, Ask.com moves up to the third spot. That said, Ask.com shouldn’t get too excited. Hitwise data suggests that Ask.com and 53 other search engines share just 3.4% of market share.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (1) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement