Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 612  
Subject: $300 bonus Chase Freedom Date: 11/8/2011 11:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
You get a $300 cash back bonus if you spend $500 in the first three months.

http://www.creditcardwatcher.com/chase-freedom-300-signup-bo...

I'd post this on the CC board except that they would tell me credit cards are evil and I would run up a huge credit card debt that would cost me more than the bonus.

PSU
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 2gifts Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 572 of 612
Subject: Re: $300 bonus Chase Freedom Date: 11/8/2011 11:40 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
That's a lot better than the $100 cash back bonus I'm getting from CapitalOne for the new card I just opened with them.

DH and I both already have Chase cards, or I'd be jumping on this one.

Thanks for posting it.

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 573 of 612
Subject: Re: $300 bonus Chase Freedom Date: 11/8/2011 12:18 PM
And I'm posting here because I appreciate the knowledge of the folks here. I am planning to sell the house in Denver and buy something else in 2012. My preference would be a mortgage for whatever I buy.

I am being discriminating in acquiring new credit but I'm not sure how careful I need to be. I have almost 8 years of self-employment information and 2011 is turning into my second highest year, I think. I also have pension income and significant assets.

Any thoughts on maybe another cc or two ? I will be thinning the herd because there are some I never use. I think Discover is my current oldest - 1987 although I have credit as far back as about 1976, I think.

Author: PSUEngineer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 574 of 612
Subject: Re: $300 bonus Chase Freedom Date: 11/8/2011 1:47 PM
Any thoughts on maybe another cc or two ? I will be thinning the herd because there are some I never use. I think Discover is my current oldest - 1987 although I have credit as far back as about 1976, I think.

I'm far from an expert in credit scoring but my guess with your sterling background, getting rid of a credit card with a long history and replacing it with a new one will only slightly impact your credit score and will have no effect on a future mortgage. aj485 would be more knowledgeable in this area.

PSU

Author: reallyalldone Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 575 of 612
Subject: Re: $300 bonus Chase Freedom Date: 11/9/2011 10:25 AM
I wasn't clear - I'm not getting rid of my oldest card- just a couple that I don't use.

I know the regular treatise on credit and I'll worry about it in the spring.

Author: RoadScholar5 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 576 of 612
Subject: Re: $300 bonus Chase Freedom Date: 11/17/2011 5:21 PM
I want to express my appreciation for postings such as this. The downside to trying to eliminate all the background marketing noise means I also sometimes miss out on the good offers.

Of course yes the irony here is that credit is most easily extended to those who need it the least....

I second the nomination of aj as the guru for questions.

Thanks again, RS

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 577 of 612
Subject: Re: $300 bonus Chase Freedom Date: 11/19/2011 12:20 PM
Recommendations: 2
but my guess with your sterling background, getting rid of a credit card with a long history and replacing it with a new one will only slightly impact your credit score and will have no effect on a future mortgage.

If you'll register and let it use your real credit report, the simulator at creditkarma.com attempts to predict the scoring effect of various changes.

In my case, it says that closing my oldest cc account would have no effect. Adding a new cc account would reduce my score by 3 points whether I were to close the oldest one or not.

I don't think that it has an option to simulate closing an account other than the oldest one.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement