Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/06/25/weight-loss-surgery......

There are others. But that was the first one I came across so far as studies go.

Now, I know you tend to take umbrage at my categorising stuff like this as Science By Press Release but this sort of headline grabbing health scare news is exactly what I'm talking about......presenting tentative research findings that show very small associations (what was the increase in alcohol abuse....something like 7% to 9% before and after, give or take?) It's irresponsible on all sorts of levels......from the study authors who're so willing to be quoted, through the "health and science writers" who reproduce these press releases uncritically to everyone who reads it and passes it on as if it's The Truth.

I actually have no idea whatsoever whether this is an emerging phenom. or just something else to jabber on about, but I think it's important enough to not go by one's personal experiences with one or two acquaintances in a social setting (FWIW, I'm someone you'd see with a glass in my hand much of the time at a get-together.......but I'm not an alcoholic and what's in my glass isn't always alcohol)

As I've mentioned before, the readership of this forum isn't confined onlyto those folk who post and rec. There might be someone who's contemplating this sort of surgery and isn't likely to be helped by selective data-mining about the adverse effects of bariatric surgery......they're probably worried enough already.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement