UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8891  
Subject: 35% dividend increase Date: 2/22/2008 3:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Doesn't have the dividend history of KO, but Navios Maritime, NM, increased their dividend by 35%, now @ 9c/sh.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080221/navios_maritime_dividend.html?.v=1

NM has more CapeSize vessels (largest Dry Bulk vessels) on order, so this company is counting on growth going forward.

Hohum
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4208 of 8891
Subject: Re: 35% dividend increase Date: 2/24/2008 1:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 25
It was a data-point. Nowhere in my post did I suggest to rush out and buy NM because of the dividend increase.

Here's an observation, I think it speaks volumes when a smaller company in a very cyclical industry increases its dividend, especially in the current market environment. Meanwhile, bigger and "safer" blue-chip companies like Citigroup, Fannie Mae and Washington Mutual have slashed their dividends. I have not verified this, but I suspect that NM's "tiny" dividend yield is greater than the dividend yield of at least half the companies in the S&P 500. If I were to buy NM shares, it would be because I believe the company growth prospects. The dividend increase speaks to the company's confidence in its business.

BTW, if your statement
I do not buy stocks for their dividends. is true, why are you
frequently on the Berkshire Hathaway (B-H) board complaining about B-H not paying a dividend? Those guys, Warren Buffett & Charlie Munger, must be lousy investors ;)

Hohum

Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4215 of 8891
Subject: Re: 35% dividend increase Date: 2/25/2008 9:16 PM
Recommendations: 1
Thank you to 19 anonymous readers for the Recs to post #4208.

My first response to Kahuna was more personal, but I remembered that this is the Lenten season. His post still needed a response, so post #4208 was the more tempered response, with some better points. Obviously, some of you agreed.

Thanks,
Hohum

Author: Sand105 Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4219 of 8891
Subject: Re: 35% dividend increase Date: 2/26/2008 8:08 PM
Recommendations: 2
Ho-Hum, a 35% dividend increase on such a low dividend base to begin with means next to little or nothing.

Not that I know anything about this stock, but an increase from 2.2% yield (already above S$P average) to 2.9% is anything but next to nothing.

Just to part hard numbers to this assertion.

Author: Hohum77 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4220 of 8891
Subject: Re: 35% dividend increase Date: 2/26/2008 9:53 PM
Recommendations: 2
Not that I know anything about this stock, but an increase from 2.2% yield (already above S$P average) to 2.9% is anything but next to nothing.

Navios Maritime, NM, is a shipping company that specializes in transporting Dry Bulk goods. The company is based in Greece, but is listed on the New York Stock Exchange (NYSE). It owns a fleet of about 20 vessels of various sizes. It also charters in another 18-20 vessels, many on long-term time charters. It has, on order, 9 Cape Size vessels (largest Dry Bulk vessel size), all scheduled for delivery in 2009/2010. It owns Dry Bulk port facilities at a strategic location in Uruguay, and just acquired assets that enhance inland/up-river trade in South America.

Earlier in the thread I called NM a smaller company. In the general market, that is probably true (~$1.2B market cap). However, among its US-listed Dry Bulk peers, it is probably in the top third in market cap, and likely in the top three in both revenue and revenue growth.

My current dilemma with investing in NM is, I am lousy with projections 2-4 years down the road, and don't feel I understand the Dry Bulk sector well enough. If I get comfortable with the idea that at least 5/6 of those 9 new Cape size vessels find good charters, or steady work, then NM becomes an easy investment decision.

Hohum

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement