Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 2
3Cubs: "2014 was a tough year for our family because I faced unemployment. Since our income is much lower than normal, I thought I might make lemonade and convert an old 401(k). Here is my idea:

1. Transfer my old 401(k) out of the employer's plan to a traditional IRA.

2. Then roll some money from that new traditional IRA to a Roth.

3. I would look at my actual income in 2014 and convert as much as possible to the Roth to be at the top of the lower-than-normal tax bracket for this year.

Does this plan make sense? Please offer suggestions or feedback."

First, my sympathy on your difficult year.

Second, I am no tax expert, so you probably see if anyone else responds.

1. OK, make it a trustee to trustee transfer to avoid taking possession of the money.

2. Generally, but that would be a conversion not a rollover, and it will need to be completed before year end 2014 to be a 2014 tax event. Conversions have a year end deadline, unlike contributions. In addition, what funds will you use to pay the taxes due? If from the IRA, would you owe penalty for early withdrawal? And many people beleive that if using IRA funds to pay the taxes, then the conversion may make less sense, but you would need to run your numbers.

Regards, JAFO
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement