No. of Recommendations: 0
I just viewed a number of vids concerning printing of guns and magazines. I'm wondering how this will affect the top players here?
Print the post Back To Top
There are already steps being taken to remove the designs for whole functional guns from the market (not that there are any that work) and to set up preventative policing in the industry.

Fuskie
Who thinks there is already an awareness among 3D printing devices that they cannot simply was their hands of who they are sold to or how they are used...
3D guns are a misuse of legitimate equipment. In that the concern is the software and designs, not the equipment, I see no major impact.

But are 3D guns illegal or merely objectionable? If they are against the law, I would expect law enforcement to flood the internet with malfunctioning designs and to go after the websites that offer working designs.

Are any laws being broken?
http://www.thestreet.com/story/11817299/1/dark-side-of-3d-pr...

Check this link out if you haven't already.
I don't see how law enforcement can completely
police illegal design, software and production
of guns. I'm under the assumption that if you
have the $$$$ for a capable 3D printer to do
the job someone somewhere someone will have the design
software and materials to produce illegally.
Albeit i would think efficient mass production
is a ways off but not out of the question.
But are 3D guns illegal or merely objectionable?

Well, given that you need a license from the feds in order to manufacture firearms in this country, and given that (in most States and municipalities, anyway) you need a license to have a pistol (BEFORE you purchase it), then just willy-nilly printing out a working 3D gun IS illegal. On two fronts. The first is manufacturing a gun without a firearms manufacturing license, and the second is possession of an unlicensed firearm.

However, it's doubtful that it can be adequately policed, without illegal searches.

Also, I don't see how the manufacturer of a 3D printer can be held accountable for the way it gets used by the purchaser, any more than the manufacturer of a CNC milling machine can be held accountable if the owner of THAT piece of equipment uses it to manufacture an illegal gun.

Another example - a car makes a very effective bomb, and (as we found out after 9/11), so does a jet plane. Do you think the auto industry or the aircraft industry is going to be held accountable because some lunatics make illegal use of legitimate products?

If it ever comes to that, then this country has fallen into a seriously bad, deep pit, from which it is doubtful we could ever extricate ourselves. I truly hope we never see that state of affairs.

HarryG
Well put I think I'll go print a banana split sit down and watch the stock go to $90 by end of next week. Thanks for the vote of confidence everyone!
Advertisement