UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1071  
Subject: 3M is buying Ceradyne Date: 10/1/2012 11:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Sweet! http://finance.yahoo.com/news/3m-acquire-ceradyne-inc-113000...

Both purchases will end up in the green.

3/30/12 at $32.45
6/18/12 at $25.41

Buy out price is $35. Overall gain will be 24% in about 9 months. Not too bad.

Cheers,
Jim
Print the post Back To Top
Author: anuragupta Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide CAPS All Star Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 798 of 1071
Subject: Re: 3M is buying Ceradyne Date: 10/1/2012 6:53 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Congratulations!

I made some money here as well, thanks!

Anurag

Author: TMFGebinr Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 799 of 1071
Subject: Re: 3M is buying Ceradyne Date: 10/1/2012 7:31 PM
Recommendations: 1
And, of course, the sell article: http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2012/10/01/so-long-cer...

Cheers,
Jim

Author: blesto Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 800 of 1071
Subject: Re: 3M is buying Ceradyne Date: 10/2/2012 7:24 PM
I knew 3M was diverse, but I had no idea about this.
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Oil-Gas/Home/

Ceradyne looks to be a nice fit into the 3M universe.

Congrats!

Long, Messed-Up Expectations!

A little late to get in on Ceradyne, but I've been thinking about picking up some PWER.
Could they also be a buyout/merger target? Not that that would be my reason to purchase shares. I do like the company and they still seem undervalued.

Best,
blesto

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 801 of 1071
Subject: Re: 3M is buying Ceradyne Date: 10/2/2012 8:16 PM
A little late to get in on Ceradyne, but I've been thinking about picking up some PWER.
Could they also be a buyout/merger target? Not that that would be my reason to purchase shares. I do like the company and they still seem undervalued.

Hi blesto,

It's bitter sweet when a company gets purchased. One, it validates your own thinking, but, two, it takes away any further gain from owning it as a separate company.

Power-One is still a favorite of mine. I think they'll continue to do well as solar continues to grow. U.S. is dedicated to it in several states, and China is going big there. Then there's Japan which has to replace its nuclear energy somehow (though I don't know if PWER will be able to sell there). And Germany is replacing nukes, too, though more with wind than solar, I believe. But I like the technology PWER offers, the expansion of its product line, and the fact that it can sell regardless of which solar panel supplier is chosen.

Cheers,
Jim

Author: blesto Big red star, 1000 posts Global Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 802 of 1071
Subject: Re: 3M is buying Ceradyne Date: 10/2/2012 8:48 PM
And Germany is replacing nukes, too, though more with wind than solar, I believe.

You still need inverters with wind. PWER has them in a renewable energy wind brochure.
http://www.power-one.com/filebin/flipbooks/RE_Wind_2012_EMEA...

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star SC1 Red Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 803 of 1071
Subject: Re: 3M is buying Ceradyne Date: 10/3/2012 8:08 AM
You still need inverters with wind. PWER has them in a renewable energy wind brochure.

Yes, I know. I may be a bit out of date on this one, but I believe Power-One's management has said that the wind turbine sellers (such as GE) tend to have the inverters built right in, using their own technology, so the inverter market is not as big as it is in solar. If that's still true, it's too bad because Power-One's tech is really quite good and wind, at least right now, is the bigger renewable energy source compared to solar. That might be sufficient reason for GE to look at acquiring the company, but I hope that doesn't happen for quite a while, if ever.

Cheers,
Jim

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement