Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
4) I provide consulting services, and my clients have submitted 1099's for compensation paid to me in years past. Will they continue to file a 1099 (or some similar form) for compensation paid to my corp?

Depends. A payor is not obligated to complete & file a 1099 when payment is being made to a corporation; although many payors choose to do so anyway.

I'd be very careful about 1099's - many consulting agencies don't understand taxes very well and are confused by corp-to-corp arrangements. Make sure you sign all contracts as My Name, President of my corp - and provide your corp EIN(tax id) NOT your Social Security Number - if they have your SSN and issue a 1099 - then it looks like you're a sole proprietor and things will be all messed up. I refuse to give the agents/pimps/body shops my SSN for this reason.


Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.