Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: blford Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 81327  
Subject: 4 Weeks of Boot Camp Date: 2/1/2007 9:35 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 84
So, Andrew officially hits four weeks of Boot Camp come Saturday.

We've gotten two letters from him already, one just today.

He's doing well and is actually enjoying Boot Camp...Well, except for the fact he doesn't have enough time to eat. :-)

He says they get three good meals per day, and he actually enjoys the food, but they're only allowed about 3 minutes to eat and are not allowed to waste any food. He says he can eat that fast with no trouble, but he just doesn't have the time to "taste" his food...Hmmm, maybe that's why he actually "likes" the food? :-)

He said in the first letter that he got plenty of practice from me while growing up and being yelled at so that when the Drill Sergeant yells at him, he just smiles...Kinda reminds me of Gomer Pyle. He says summa the other guys dern near cry as they take the yelling too seriously.

Not exactly proud of my temper mind you, and it was kinda funny to hear him say this, but still...I sure wish I had been a bit more lenient with my children as they were growing up. But, it was still nice hearing him make fun of me/my behavior and laugh about having had "practice" while growing up that now helps him just ignore the Drill Sergeant's yelling and whatnot...But still...*sigh*

So far his favorite training has been Marital Arts and he was the top man in his group. He kicked butt, literally! I ain't surprised with as big as the boy is and since he's been in such good shape for several years now on his own.

He's also been through the "gas chamber" and said that even though it irritated his eyes a bit, it wasn't too bad. Tough little...Errr...Big SOB, eh? :-)

He can't tell us a whole lot about what he's doing and learning since he applied for, and was accepted into, the Military Police training and summa the stuff they do is confidential. And, even though he'll finish Boot Camp soon, he won't have his graduation until May because he "jumps" right into Military Police training the same day he finishes Boot Camp.

Now, for one of our kids who has always been so messy and un-organized, he's suddenly become a neat-freak and cain't understand why he never liked being one before. He dern near kicked another boy's butt the other day fer throwing sumthin' on his bed and messing it up, LOL.

He did say in his first letter that he wishes he'd realized what Mom and I did for him as he was growing up...The sacrifices we made, the opportunities we made sure were always available, the lessons we tried to teach him, etc. And he said, "Thank you for all you did for me."

That brought a tear to my eye as I realized he's quickly becoming a Man Of His Own. He knows what he wants outta life, where he wants to go with it, and how he's gonna get there. I sure wish I'd had half the smarts he does today when I was his age!!

He also keeps telling us how much he loves his girlfriend and asks us not to tell her stuff that would worry her...Such as they've already told him he has a 95% chance of being sent to Iraq as soon as he graduates from Military Police training.

All I can say now is...Go Son! Be Safe! & God Be With You!

ßillƒ

*Proud Of His Son!*
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement