UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: brvo Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 76079  
Subject: 401 0r 457 plan?? Date: 6/26/1998 4:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
hello i'm wrighting because i dont know wher to max out my defferal comp program at my work.1'm 30 years old i plan to leave the company in 17 years when i become vested.for my age what do you think would be best for me tax wise any ideas. please advise
thank you
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4084 of 76079
Subject: Re: 401 0r 457 plan?? Date: 6/1/1998 10:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Greetings, Brvo, and welcome.

<<hello i'm wrighting because i dont know wher to max out my defferal comp program at my work.1'm 30 years old i plan to leave the company in 17 years when i become vested.for my age what do you think would be best for me tax wise any ideas.>>

First, you should determine what plan you have and what's involved by reading the Summary Plan Description provided by your employer. Next, read the first four steps of The 13 Steps to Foolish Retirement Planning available at this link: http://www.fool.com/Retirement/Retirement.htm

Those steps will help you make your decision.

Regards...Pixy

Author: ilkajohn Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4041 of 76079
Subject: Re: 401 0r 457 plan?? Date: 6/27/1998 2:27 PM
Suggest you consider that a 401(k) is eligible for rollover into an IRA when you do retire.
The current rules on 457 accounts require that you make a final decision on distribution within 60 days of retiring; it may not be rolled into an IRA, and it is not eligible for any income averaging scheme. Once the distribution decision is made, it may not be changed. In some cases, you may defer the final distribution decision for a full year, or more.

Author: slwjpw Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 4160 of 76079
Subject: Re: 401 0r 457 plan?? Date: 7/4/1998 4:28 AM
The Summary Plan Description doesn't tell you anything. Look at the Entire Plan Description if you want to know how your money will be invested. Also, push for legislation to change ALL retirement plans to be changed to self directed plans.

Thanks, slwjpw

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement