Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: chucklilley Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19891  
Subject: 401-k conversion to self directed IRA Date: 6/9/2000 9:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a 401-k plan that due to a severance arrangement as a result of a corporate buyout I have been unable to contribute to for over a year. During that time unfortunately I have become totally disabled and am wrestling with whether to convert the 401-k plan(now totally invested in a S&P 500 index fund)to a self-directed IRA to which I can contribute annually. However in the process of conversion I will be unable to convert the after-tax portion of the plan (about 5% of the total) due to government regulations. I will not receive disability benefits for another year and have 15 years until retirement age.

What is the best way to go here? Continue with the current plan without being able to contribute and simply contribute the $2000 per year (my wife is gainfully employed but has no 401-k plan) to a separate simple IRA? Or if so, would a Roth IRA be more advantageous? Thanks
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next


Foolanthropy 2015!
Fistula Foundation: A World of Good!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Collected Mungofitch Quotes
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.