Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: akaDAVE Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25235  
Subject: 401k AND IRA? Date: 5/6/1999 1:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Are there any legal restrictions, or other rules which prevent having a 401k and an IRA at the same time? About about multiple IRAs?

Obviously I'm just a beginner in the realm of investing...

Thanks!

Print the post Back To Top
Author: jocave One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1963 of 25235
Subject: Re: 401k AND IRA? Date: 5/6/1999 1:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
<<<<<
Are there any legal restrictions, or other rules which prevent having a 401k and an IRA at the same time? About about multiple IRAs?
>>>>>

No. You can have as many 401(k)'s and IRA's as you want. However, the contribution limits for each account reflect the total contribution to all accounts.

For instance, you can put up to $10,000 in a 401(k) each year. If you had two jobs, each with a 401(k), you could contribute to both, but the sum of the contributions made at each job would be $10,000.

With IRA's, the limit is $2,000, but you can put that in as many Roth or traditional IRA's as you'd like-- open 2000 IRA's with a $1 deposit in each if you'd like. When you go to take money out, the IRS lumps all the IRA's together. This means, fonr instance, that you couldn't take 2 $10,000 'first-time home buyer' distributions if you held 2 separate IRA's.

Author: copdotcom1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2475 of 25235
Subject: Re: 401k AND IRA? Date: 6/13/1999 7:17 PM
You can have an IRA and participate in a company sponsored 401K at the same time. There is no limit on the number of IRAs you may have as long as the total contributions do not exceed the 2,000 dollar limit.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement