UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: bostwick1 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75339  
Subject: 401(k) and Non-deductibel IRA Date: 1/31/1999 5:06 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0

Once you have contributed the maximum amount to your 401(k), what are the benefits and disadvantages of contributing to an IRA, especially if any contributions would be non-deductible due to your income level?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: gp703 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8191 of 75339
Subject: Re: 401(k) and Non-deductibel IRA Date: 1/31/1999 10:27 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
This has been covered many times and is totally dependent on each individuals circumstances. Check back previous threads and try the FAQ areas for retirement investing and taxes.

GP

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 8203 of 75339
Subject: Re: 401(k) and Non-deductibel IRA Date: 1/31/1999 11:10 AM
Greetings, Bostwick1, and welcome. You asked:

<<Once you have contributed the maximum amount to your 401(k), what are the benefits and disadvantages of contributing to an IRA, especially if any contributions would be non-deductible due to your income level?>>

The biggest advantage is all earnings will compound tax deferred, which adds a leveraging factor to your growth. If you are within the Adjusted Gross Income limits for a Roth IRA, eventually everything comes out tax-free. The biggest disadvantage is you will normally have to wait until age 59 1/2 to be able to make penalty-free withdrawals.

Regards….Pixy

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement