Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: mrgreen0 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121061  
Subject: 401k and roth IRA Date: 2/25/2010 8:33 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I contributed 9% of my paycheck to my job's 401K and contributed the max alloweble to my roth Ira. can I take a deduction from both, or is my job's income already adjusted to show for the 401K contribution?

Any help and/or ideas are appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: aj485 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 109274 of 121061
Subject: Re: 401k and roth IRA Date: 2/25/2010 8:43 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
I contributed 9% of my paycheck to my job's 401K and contributed the max alloweble to my roth Ira. can I take a deduction from both, or is my job's income already adjusted to show for the 401K contribution?

Actually, you can take a deduction for neither.

Your W-2 should already show the 401(k) contribution. Look at Boxes 1 and 5 on your W-2. The amount in Box 5 should be larger than the amount in Box 1 by the amount you contributed to your 401(k), plus any other pre-tax deductions you had, like insurance premiums. The amount in Box 1 is what goes onto your 1040, so the income is already adjusted for your 401(k) contributions.

As for the Roth IRA, your contribution is not tax deductible. You pay taxes on the amount contributed now, so that you get tax-free withdrawals in the future, providing your withdrawals meet the requirements.

AJ

Author: mrgreen0 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 109308 of 121061
Subject: Re: 401k and roth IRA Date: 2/28/2010 10:57 PM
Recommendations: 0
Thank you so much for the information.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement