No. of Recommendations: 0
During all of 1998, I mistakenly contributed approx. $9000 to my 401k with after-tax money (filled in the company paperwork on the wrong line). I have since made the correction to have pre-tax contributions made with future monies and will deal with paying Uncle Sam the taxes a couple of decades early. My question is, can I take all of the 1998 money out without penalty since it was after-tax money?

Print the post  


The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.