Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ajdiggs Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25247  
Subject: 401k Company match Date: 10/25/2000 12:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I was browsing and noticed I'm not alone with the company match in stock ONLY problem. Not only does it suck from an individualistic point of view, but my company's stock in down enough drag the rest of my 401k's value down with it. What can I do? Stop investing in my 401k? Pick the corporate headquarters? Go on a hunger strike until it's changed?

But my interest was peaked when someone mentioned it may be illegal for a company to influence investment habits. Can anyone shed light on this for me?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFExRO Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9676 of 25247
Subject: Re: 401k Company match Date: 10/25/2000 3:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
What can I do? Stop investing in my 401k?

That's one possibility. You can also change jobs to find a 401(k) that you like better. You could also realize that your employer isn't required to match anything, so even if you don't like what they're matching with, it's more than you'd have without it.

TMF ExRO
Phil Marti

Author: bryanschmidt1 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9679 of 25247
Subject: Re: 401k Company match Date: 10/25/2000 7:45 PM

You can always stop investing in your 401k. I would lodge your complaint with HR since they are likely in charge of administering the plan. Keep in mind that there are definite tax advantages for a 401k - even a lousy one. You get pre-tax dollars invested, tax deferred and your plan has a company match.

As to your other question, right now it is illegal for companies to influence your investments (ERISA guidelines). However, there are proposed changes to the rules whereby employers may be allowed in the future to provide investment advice.

Author: ajdiggs Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9719 of 25247
Subject: Re: 401k Company match Date: 10/30/2000 11:48 AM
As to your other question, right now it is illegal for companies to influence your investments (ERISA guidelines)

Where can I get my hands on these guidelines?

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (4) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement