Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zonker Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121177  
Subject: 401K Contributions Date: 12/6/1997 10:08 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Question to anyone who has knowledge about IRS guidelines regarding contributions to a company sponsored 401K plan.

What is the amount of money that a person can contribute to a 401K plan during a calendar year?

Does company matching contributions count toward that limit? (ie. if a company matches up to 3% of your contributions does that reduce the amount you can contribute?)

If a person contributes a larger % of their paycheck up front during the year toward the plan, will that lower the company matching contribution. The reason I ask is that a company matches a percent up to your eligible annual income and if you max out your contributions early, say September, the matching would not reflect what you have earned during the entire year (only through September).

This issue has come up as I have changed jobs this year due to an acquisition. My old company let me contribute (1996) a total of $9500 of my own money toward the 401K plan and then matched those dollars. My new company is telling me that I can only contribute (1997) a total of $9500 including match. Is this something that is company specific (companies don't have to match) or regulated by the IRS?

Any insights would be appreciated.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement