Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

My employer allows contributions to its' Savings Plan in excess of the annual (before-tax) limit. The plan allows the employee to choose to continue Savings Plan deductions on an After-tax basis, or discontinued them for the remaining payperiods in that tax year.

In 2003, I made total contributions (payroll deductions) of almost $16,000 to the Savings Plan. The first $12k was Before-tax, and the remaining $4k was on After-tax basis. My W-2 for 2003 shows the $12k as 401k contributions. I was taxed on the contributions beyond the 2003 $12k limit during the remaining payperiods once I exceeded the $12k contributions level.

My Question: Is there any IRS reporting that I need to do concerning the After-tax (approx. $4k) contributions to the Savings Plan for my 2003 Income Tax filing?

The instructions for Form 8606 don't seem to apply to my situation. I didn't find any info about my issue - searching this boards messages.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Al P.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.