Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
401(k) contributions by definition (salary deferral)must come from payroll deductions. Since your new employer doesn't have a 401(k), you have no method of contributing additional dollars this year.

Since you were in a 401(k) plan this year, you may only make deductible contributions to an IRA if you don't exceed the income cap of (?)$30,000.

If you don't make over $95,000/$150,000 (single/joint) AGI, you can make a non-deductible contribution to a Roth IRA and reap the rewards of tax-free growth.

If you make over the Roth IRA limits, you could make a non-deductible contribution to a traditional IRA to reap the rewards of tax-deferred growth.
Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.