Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I'm in a deep trouble at the last TAX minute and desperately need your
advice regarding the distribution of my company's match in my (401)K
account. I have to pay the penalty and tax on this distribution, according to the tax form I received from my old (401)k plan.

Last year I got a new job and tried to transfer my fund from my old 
company (401)k plan to my new company's. There three parts in that (401)k account:

*	My pre-tax contribution
*	My after-tax contribution
*	My old company's match (in its stocks)

According to the administrator of my old (401)k plan, only the pre-tax
portion can be transferred to my new (401)k plan. The after-tax 
contribution will be rollover to my non-deducible IRA. The stocks deposited by my old company can be only distributed to me. I can't keep them in the old plan if I take the pre-tax contribution. As result,
*	the pre-tax portion was transferred to my new (401)k plan
*	the after-tax portion was sent to me although I had instructed them to deposit into my IRA account directly(with the institute name and acc#). I deposit the check into my IRA the next day I got the check.
*	the stock certification from the company match was deposited into the same IRA account on the same day as after-tax distribution For the value of $9889 (stocks), $34.08 tax was withhold by the plan. I deposit $34.08 into the same account. 

While filing my 2000 tax return, I find out the distribution from my old company's match is marked as early distribution(code 1), according to the tax form I got from my old plan. I have to pay the penalty and tax on it. I thought the company match is part of the retirement plan and I wouldn't own any tax or penalty on it as long as I keep it in the qualified plans. Did I missing some thing? Is anything I can do before 4/15/01 to avoid the penalty and the tax. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Lee
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement