Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0

I have a sizeable 401(k), and am contributing the max to it every year. But, I'm not a US citizen, and might move back into my home country (Germany) in few years. I'm still at least 20-25 years away from retirement.

Under these circumstances, does it make sense to keep funding the 401(k)?

What about taxes from tax-deferred retirement accounts when not doing a US tax return anymore? Would I need to do a US tax return just for distributions from retirement accounts?

I realize that I might need to consult a tax consultant, but it's really hard to find someone that knows about how this works when living/paying taxes I'm hoping somebody here might have gone through this before.

Print the post  


What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.