No. of Recommendations: 0
Greetings Fools!!

I just spoke to my previous employer's Accounting head (it is a small corporation of 100 employees so they allow to deal directly with Accouting Heads ;-)) and this is what he told me to do for the rollover of the 401(K) funds to a Self Directed IRA. I just want to confirm this with you fools and TMF Pixy in particula. Here goes:

* My previous employer will send me a distribution form which I've to fill up and both me and my wife have to sign it in front of him or get it notarised.
* My previous employer will send this signed distribution form to the 3rd party plan administrator who will then forward the CHEQUE to my previous employer.
* Then my previous employer will send me the CHEQUE.
* Then I've to deposit that cheque in the IRA account (which I would've opened before this point) in 60 days time.
* After that I can transfer this monie from that IRA account to a ROTH IRA account and declare taxes spread over 4 years on the gains.

Is this information correct?

Regards

Nikhil Bhat
Print the post  

Announcements

The Retirement Investing Board
This is the board for all discussions related to Investing for and during retirement. To keep the board relevant and Foolish to everyone, please avoid making any posts pertaining to political partisanship. Fool on and Retire on!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement