UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: DrMerlot Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 75539  
Subject: 401k investing Date: 10/27/1999 2:02 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a 401k at my company. Is the 15%, 10K maximum restriction just for my portion, or is it for the sum of my portion and the match portion combined?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Helter Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14855 of 75539
Subject: Re: 401k investing Date: 10/27/1999 2:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Your portion.
There is some limit (30k?) for the combined contribution(I think).

Author: TMFPixy Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14856 of 75539
Subject: Re: 401k investing Date: 10/27/1999 2:31 PM
DrMerlot asks:

<<I have a 401k at my company. Is the 15%, 10K maximum restriction just for my portion, or is it for the sum of my portion and the match portion combined?>>

It depends on the type of defined contribution plan you have. A profit sharing plan is limited to 15% of compensation while a money purchase plan can go up to 25%. Many firms use the two in combination. Legally, you and your employer combined may contribute up to the lower of 25% of your compensation or $30K. You alone are limited to the lower of $10K or up to 25% of your gross compensation. The plan itself may further limit the percentage you may contribute, and many plans do so they will have an easier time of passing compliance/discrimination tests of the plan. It can get even more complicated. Suppose your plan has no percentage cap on your contribution, but it does match your contributions dollar-for-dollar up to 6% of your pay. You, then, would be limited to 19% of compensation (25% minus 6%) or $10K, whichever was less. Together you and your company would be contributing the 25%.

For details on your situation, you should talk with your benefits folks.

Regards..Pixy

Author: TTRoberts Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14861 of 75539
Subject: Re: 401k investing Date: 10/27/1999 2:57 PM
DrMerlot, you asked:

<< I have a 401k at my company. Is the 15%, 10K maximum restriction just for my portion, or is it for the sum of my portion and the match portion combined? >>

The maximum contribution in a 401(k) for the year 2000 will be $10,500. Where YOU can contribute as much as 15% up to this amount DEPENDS on a few things . .. .like, how many highly compensated employees (which for the year 2000 will be those with incomes of $85,000 or more) your employer has as apposed to other eligible participants. There can be limitations that can keep you from contributing the maximum. So you'll need to consult with your plan administrator.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 14891 of 75539
Subject: Re: 401k investing Date: 10/28/1999 9:21 AM
That 10K limit is exclusively for your pretax contributions (company match and after tax contributions are not included). You may make additional after tax contributions up to the % limit (if you are not otherwise limited as a highly compensated, ie, management employee).

Most companies state their % limit in their plan information package. The stated limit is usually sum of pretax and aftertax contributions and does not include company match.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement