Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: CheapScotBoy Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121461  
Subject: 401k - IRA How Much? Date: 6/4/2008 2:24 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I have a 401k with my employer with about $50,000 in it. The performance is terrrible, and the fees are even worse. I have a choice of a few bond funds that perform way below market (which is saying something these days), and a few stock funds that track the market roughly, but have very high costs. They all have a 1% back end load, and the stock fees have a cost as high as 2.3% per anum.

Of course the trick with 401ks is you can only use the funds they offer, and if they all suck, you are stuck. My company does not offer matching of any kind, just the funds for tax free investing.

One of my colleagues here said that he transferred the money to an IRA, which he has more direct control over. However, obviously a 401k has a higher contribution limit than an IRA. (BTW, I have a regular IRA and a Roth, and I contribute to both the Roth and the 401k. I used the regular IRA before I worked at my current employer.)

My question is can I roll over all $50k to the regular IRA without penalty? Can I contribute to the 401k, and then roll the money over to the IRA too? The goal is to get the higher 401k limit, but have more direct control over the money, so that I don't get screwed by the fund manager's terrible performance.

Your advice on this or other recommended options would be welcome.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Saul's Investing Discussions

Why Did I Buy a Bunch of PFIE Today?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement