Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
I am relatively new to investing Foolishly. The bulk of my money, about $8,000, is tied up in my 401K fund. I cannot buy individual stocks there, so the money is in an S&P 500 tracking fund. I have a small Roth fund in which I have been encouraged with the success of eBay and CRA - stocks I purchased with the help of TMF.

It has been a little disappointing for me to not have more money to invest in the economy's great companies; but with four children and a modest income those funds are hard to come by. So here's my idea . . .

I am considering taking that $8,000 out of my 401K in the form of a loan, and putting it into a Roth for long-term investing. (I can immediately add $3,000 between my wife and I for 1999, and another $4,000 for the year 2000.) I would be paying my 401k back, with interest, over several years, and have the advantage of becoming part owner of companies I select with the help of my Motley Fool brethren.

I agree with those in this forum who have advised against borrowing from the 401k for paying off credit cards or other purposes. But I see this as an opportunity to transfer my money from a place where I cannot pick individual stocks to one that I can, with the enhanced potential of returns for my long-term investments. In addition, I like the idea of having that money in an account where Uncle Sam cannot squeeze me for income taxes or capital gains taxes thirty years from now (tax-free Roth vs. tax-deferred 401K).

I would appreciate any thoughts you may have on this idea.
Print the post  

Announcements

When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement