UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fibus Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 74759  
Subject: 401(k): not matching! Date: 7/12/2000 6:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey Fools.
I have a question--
I just learned that my company does not give matching contributions to 401(k). The index fund is offered, but I'm a little worred about borkerage fees (through salamon smith barney).
so, is it still a good idea to contribute the max to my account?
also, does anyone know anything about how salamon's 401(k) fees?

Thanks!
fibus
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Crosenfield Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23306 of 74759
Subject: Re: 401(k): not matching! Date: 7/12/2000 8:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
The administrative 401k fees that go to Solomon Smith Barney are negotiated between your employer and them. So you will have to ask that question within the plan.
Often load fees are waived in 401ks. So you need to check that out also.
Having this money tax deferred for me was always a big thing; I'd contribute to the max even if there is no match, figuring on being in a lower bracket in retirement when I take the money out.
Your situation, obviously, may be different.
Best wishes, Chris

Author: BGPenhollo Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 23318 of 74759
Subject: Re: 401(k): not matching! Date: 7/13/2000 8:33 AM
"The administrative 401k fees that go to Solomon Smith Barney are negotiated between your employer and them. So you will have to ask that question within the plan.
Often load fees are waived in 401ks. So you need to check that out also. "

This may have quite a bit of value. If the load-fees are waived, then it may allow you pick up some "A" type load funds which usually carry lower expense ratios than B, C or other type shares.

Of course, a bad fund at any cost is too expensive. But there are many excellent loaded funds that become a real buy when the load is removed.

Good Luck...

BGP

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement